The River Cruise

Sukau Travel Blog

I wanted to book onto a river tour up Kingabutu, Borneo’s largest river, and see the famous wildlife of the island in their natural habitat.  I found the tourism office, and they were very very helpful.  I found out that I could get to Sukau after all and do the tour cheaply from there.  I had to quickly rush back to the hotel to gather my things and check out, and raced back for the shared van.  By 1pm I was on my way.

I booked into the same hostel as the people on the van as there were vacancies and it was very cheap.  They ran the tours from there as well, so that was perfect.  As the people on the van had pre-booked the tour through agents in Sandakan (at a far more expensive rate), I couldn’t do the boat trip that night, but the hostel staff did try their very best to accommodate me.  It wasn’t a problem, and they guaranteed I could join another group in the morning and do the tour then.  I was grateful for their compromise as it meant I could get back to Sandakan easily enough that same afternoon and maybe even get to the Orang-utan Rehabilitation Sanctuary in Sepilok.

There’s not a lot to do in the evenings around Sukau, but the hostel staff are so warm and traveller friendly, they will sit with the groups and everyone mixes in sharing drinks and stories.  They’re actually very entertaining and talented people as well.  One guy was playing the guitar whilst another tunefully sang a range of songs, each with the correct accent of the original artist!  I was happy with just relaxing with the crowds and joining in with everybody.

photo by: sissanoel