Hanoi Travel Blog

Oh my God did I wake up in agony this morning!  Seriously bad stomach cramps woke me up and I had no concept of time.  Without windows, it’s so disorientating and it confuses the circadian rhythm, I checked the watch and quietly sneaked out.  It was a bit early and I didn’t want to disturb Lori, knowing she needed some rest.  A cup of tea and a little bit of breakfast seemed to be the panacea and I was back on my feet.

We decided to check out the Prison Museum as it sounded quite interesting (it held John McCain at one time), and we certainly had time to kill.  It was actually built by the French and was initially used to hold political prisoners, with a lot actually being sentenced to death here.  There are several macabre stories, but the incredible escape stories were the ones I preferred.

On the whole, it wasn’t a great museum to visit, and it was highly anti-American, making out that the POW’s lived in the lap of luxury there at times.  The American pilots sarcastically nicknamed it Ha Noi Hilton Hotel, but I believe that the written information uses this fact out of context, knowing the pilots were brutally tortured there.

There wasn’t much more to do for the day, so we found Le Pub, which was serving cocktails at $2 each all night long.  I tried quite a few of these and after a short while, a couple of Scottish lads joined us, Alex and Stephen.  These were good lads and were up for a laugh.  They hung around with us and joined in with a Jager train (as suggested by Tiep, the bar manager).  We all agreed we’d meet up the next night and make it a Scottish themed night (they were from Inverness).  They’d be wearing quilts in the traditional way in return for me wearing a flag and both of us going commando.  It sounded like a good idea at the time.

photo by: mario26