Ok, Seriously now, Stop being a Geek

Manchester Travel Blog

I still had some time and I was well and truly in geek mode by now, so with a day in Manchester where I can do nothing if I wanted; go shopping if I wanted; get drunk if I wanted, etc etc etc, I chose to go to some more museums.

Instead of opting for the National Football Museum (at Deepdale, Preston.  This should have been the natural choice!) I chose the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry (MoSI) ��" yep, keeping in trend with my geeky side.

That museum is massive!  It’s actually really good too.  I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised.  It’s split over five big buildings:

(1)   The Main Building - This takes you through some of Manchester’s rich scientific history.  Some pioneers of modern science are from, or practiced in Manchester.  This includes the likes of John Dalton (the founder of modern chemistry), James Joule (proved heat is energy), Ernst Rutherford (changed anatomic thinking (the electron-ring model surpassed the plum pudding model) and perhaps more famously, split the atom), Bernard Lovell (his radar systems noted interference from outer space leading to further work with radio telescopes), and Matthew Harrison (a future prospect showing enormous potential in several fields).

(2)   The Station Building - This is the world’s oldest passenger train station, Liverpool Road Station.  Although it is redundant, it can be still operational is required.

(3)   The Warehouse - This is connected to the Main Building via a Roman Sewer.  It contains some pretty good artefacts and stories from a past history of Manchester.

(4)  The Industrial Building - This room has all the old steam trains and power generators.  It also contains retired, but more modern trains, and most of the structures are presented in their working function.

(5) The Hangar - This is a great room for those interested in aeronautics and automobiles.

It contains a wealth of planes, helicopters, cars and motorcycles of nostalgic value and my personal favourite, Reginal Mitchell’s Spitfire in pristine condition.

You would be forgiven in thinking after all this I would be museumed out; but no, I soldiered on.  I found my way to a more disappointing Manchester Art Museum.  Now, the number of times I’ve passed this place without batting an eyelid has been huge; with hindsight, today should have added to that tally.

The museum advertised itself as containing works on show by no less than Leonardo Di Vinci, but OMG!  What an anti-climax / over-statement that was.  Granted, there was ten pieces on show, but I’ll completely honest, I suspect those pieces were doodled in Di Vinci’s childhood!  My young nephew could have produced that!  They were nothing but sketches and doodles to pass time.  As far as I’m concerned, the Queen (they belong to Her Maj) can keep those pieces of clutter, or chuck them out at her leisure!

The other thing with this museum is Manchester does not have an over-stated art scene.  Other D.S Lowry, we have no-body of significant note (forgive my ignorance if this is wrong, but I found the artist’s works on show completely uninspiring).

Overall I didn’t stay too long here.  I was after all only a serendipitous stop off and I was keen to put in time elsewhere.  Home time.

JeAr says:
i'd wanna see the industrial building with all those trains (im a train person hehehe)...
Posted on: Nov 06, 2009
Manchester Sights & Attractions review
MoSI
Ok, this is a geeky science museum, but it is fun. The Museum of Science and Industry is huge. It is cleverly split over five zones and offers a rou… read entire review
Manchester Sights & Attractions review
Manchester Art Museum
I must admit I found this largely disappointing. Now I'm not a huge art fan, but I do like to see skill well beyond what I can do. The main show p… read entire review
Manchester