My Guided Tour of Penang

Penang Travel Blog

It was Kinki’s day off today and she was going to pick me up at around noon.  Noon became 2pm after a deserved lie and girls and make up hahaha, and she took me out for the day to the huge Chinese Temple which you can find in the 1,000 Things to see before you Die book, and it isn’t difficult to see why.  The temple is gigantic, but so beautifully decorated with so much variation in colours.  There’s a big turtle/terrapin pool we came across on first entering the temple.  Apparently people put turtles/terrapins in there for luck and a long-life.

We then climbed up the temple tower for view of the entire place, but Kinki was realising maybe she smokes too much as the stairs proved a bit challenging.  She was making me laugh.

I found it quite sweet that Kinki hadn’t been here since she was a little girl, and so by showing me around, she had a chance to reminisce as well.

She told me that this place all gets fully lit up for Chinese New Year as well, and you could already see that several of those lights had been attached in preparation for it.  I bet that will be an awesome sight.

I found Kinki to be incredibly generous as well.  She seemed to be paying for a lot of bits and bobs, lunch, drinks etc – she’s such a kind person.  I made sure I’d neutralise and buy my fair share back, if not in Penang, then in Langkawi.

Kinki drove us to Batu Ferringhi Beach so we could get the last of the day’s sun and a few drinks at the quite hip beach bars.  It was a really nice way to spend the day, and we’d sorted out a way to get to Langkawi for the next day.  We said we’d meet at 8am, but on leaving Kinki said “Goodbye, but maybe not 8am”.  I don’t mind admitting to being relieved.

photo by: Aurora78