Getting to the Party

Koh Phangan Travel Blog

We checked out earlyish and caught the bus to Phuket town, and another bus to Surat Thani.  As it was daytime, I got to see a new side of Thailand for me, a stunningly lush green, untouched and undeveloped Thailand.  This coupled with the fact that we were very often the only vehicle on the road gave me more of an appreciation for the country’s beauty and vastness.  It was a major road, but the steep drops on either side kind of implies only experienced drivers attempt to traverse the country.  Those fortunate enough to own vehicles tend to stick to the cities on this evidence.

We were dropped off conveniently (that’s sarcastic) outside an agents office where we could book tickets for the ferry to Koh Pha Ngan.  It did seem a little pricey at 550 Baht considering we’d just paid 200 Baht to get across the country, but we had little option as we didn’t know where or how far away the port actually was.  I believe bus drivers get a hefty commission for this.  We paid and got to the port an hour later and boarded the ferry.  A few hours later we were in Koh Pha Ngan getting heavily rained on.  It was now dark and so we got into a tuk tuk and asked for Haad Rin.

The place we wanted to stay at was Same Same Bar as that was where we’d organised a meet up with a lot of other TBers, but when we got there, it was full.  Oh no!  Now what do we do??  It’s hammering down with rain, we haven’t got a clue where to go, and the tuk tuk has vanished; in fact there isn’t even a road for a tuk tuk if there was one on this, in parts, primitive island.  I think I was turning into a curmudgeon or something with my cantankerous attitude haha, but I certainly wasn’t a happy man.  We walked up the road/newly formed river, scweltching as we went and tried to book into any bungalows on the way that had rooms, none did.  It was sign posted to walk down a thin path without lights to a few more bungalows, so out came the torches and eventually we stumbled into SunSmile bungalows and booked the last available room.  This meant the three of us sharing a twin room >.<  Not cool, but completely in trend with the way the evening had gone.  After a cold shower clean up, we braved the last of the rain and went to find some food and check out this famous party beach.  Despite it being two nights pre-party, the beach was still full.  People had a tendency to congregate at the tables outside the Moon Dance Bar.  We quickly discovered the stalls to the sides of the main bars where you can purchase the vodka (or other spirits with mixer) buckets.  We showed loyalty to one of the stalls and they took or names, and that meant less negotiating drink prices.  As we all kept going back, they gave us a cheap but fair price.

We all had a fair few, but we were saving ourselves more for the next two nights; Sarj, JeAr and Najiah were all due to arrive and we were so excited to be meeting those guys after all the chats and banter over the previous year.  Some people weren’t as reserved as us though…. We spotted one girl try and take advantage of the communal toilet (the sea), but with incoming waves combined with alcohol induced dizziness, meant she was only going one way, yep, falling into her produce!  Staggering out hurriedly, you could see how embarrassed she was.  I looked pretty disgusted, but with hindsight, I had absolutely no right to be with what was in store for me over the next two days (and nights).

lovely_lori88 says:
hahaha that girl was hilarious!!
Posted on: Oct 17, 2009