Finally some Sleep!!!

Singapore Travel Blog

A very well deserved sleep for me!  I woke around 10:30am almost a new person.  After a good breakfast, I thought, let’s see this little country then, and I quickly discovered it is a much bigger country than I first thought; not in terms of width and circumference, but it certainly made up for space in her height!

I’d arranged to meet Naj at Dauby Gaht (also known as Dauby wauby blah blah – if she remembers?) Station so, with time to kill, I planned a route around the city to see a few sites.  I went straight over to the swish and swanky Robertson Quay, and stood in admiration of the apartments.  A quick glance at my wallet, and releasing the moths, I realised it’s probably never going to happen.  Instead I would have to settle for being a tourist and simply enjoying the funky bar/cafe scene and the colourful Alkatt Bridge.  I continued along the riverside to the trendy Clarke Quay and liked it even more.  It just seemed to host colour after colour and I could instantly see why it is such a popular area.

Now normally Americanisation/Westernisation is a bit off putting in foreign countries for me, but Singapore offered the exception to the rule.  Yep, I found Hooters!!!  After a lot of comparing to the English versions, I decided the Singapore branch is infinitely better and I took a welcome break... for about an hour and a half.

After a lengthy perving period, I carried onwards towards Bank Quay.  Whilst walking scattily under the bridge, an Indian guy approached me claiming to be a fortune teller.  Now I’m never convinced by this stuff, but it does impress me, so I listened with intent.  To prove himself as a fortune teller, he told me my name and then guessed my lucky number.  How he did that, I don’t know.  He asked for some money to continue, but if you think I’m paying to learn my name and lucky number, you’ve got another thing coming buster.  I told him I like the path my life is going, and whatever surprises are around the corner should stay just that for me, surprises – good or bad.

From here I went to Merlion Park to see the famous fountain.  Which freak came up with a half-lion, half-fish?  They say Singapore is a crimeless city, but I have doubts; there must have been a drug problem once-upon-a-time.  How else can that be explained?

I carried on around the city, past the Fullerton Building, the Supreme Court, and the City Hall, learning little bits of history along the way.  The City Hall was where the British accepted the Japanese surrender on 12/09/45, formally ending the Japanese occupation (February 1942 – August 1945).

My next stop was Canning Park.  This was where Sir Thomas Raffles (the man who set up the British colony of Singapore) lived and contains a rare patch of grass for Singapore!  There’s a spice garden here, where you can absorb the gorgeous smells of vanilla, bay leaves, ginger, black pepper, and basil (to name but a few).

The gate at Fort Canning is all that now remains of the original fort, but it was this fort that was used to protect Singapora from sea attacks and provide a refuge for Singapora’s European population from local disturbances.  Within the grounds, I found Riffle’s House and Flagstaff.  The house was a bit too modern to be much of a landmark, but the flagstaff had a bit more authenticity in its appearance.  The flagpole, similar in its appearance as one you may find on a ship, was actually used to indicate when and where a ship was docking, and its country of origin.  It was used mainly for trade reasons.

The Battlebox is also within the grounds.  This is a series of rooms and tunnels which was used by the British during World War II.  I didn’t actually go in, but I did find the Sally Port (“Sudden Vigorous Exit” – the door in and out of the fort itself).  If under attack, the Sally Port could be used for a surprise attack, or a quick, undetected escape.

That was my day in Singapore.  I found it an affluent, metropolitan city, but incredibly clean, colourful, safe, and certainly Western!  It was strange though; all the signs are primarily written in English, and English is the first language (please correct me if I’m wrong), but it seemed more people were talking in Mandarin on the streets.  I did get confused, but I really, really liked the city itself.

After a fair while of finding my way through Dauby wauby blah blah, I saw Naj!!!  (Singapore is deceiving.  A small looking station like this can lead to an almost underground city! – It’s bloody massive down the stairs).  I was so pleased to see her, and she took me over to meet Abu so we could all catch up and have a sushi tea and Starbucks.

We met up with some of Abu’s (many) friends and all went to watch State of Play at the cinema, but being mid-week, called it a night after that.