AsiaVietnamHue

The Citadel

Hue Travel Blog

All I really needed to do today was make sure I got a bus ticket sorted out to Hoi An for tomorrow, but that proved incredibly problematic.  We found the office where we were supposed to exchange our receipt for the hop-on, hop-off ticket with ease, but the ticket turned out to be missing a stop off (Da Lat).  This wasn’t so much of a problem for me as I was most probably going to skip it anyway, but it seemed to really rile Lori.  We did try and find the original bus company that was organising us, but after a short while, we really couldn’t be bothered and agreed to go back later and sort it all out.  This left us with a bit of time to see the Citadel.  This was the capital city of the Nguyen dynasty.

The Imperial City (as it’s known) was used for official functions and ceremonies.  The whole grounds are so decorative and vibrant with colours.  There’s a lot of information on hand as well to show off the rich, proud history of this important era.  Inside you find the Forbidden Purple City where the ruling emperor spent his private life with his concubines (wives) and only the most trusted servants.

In1945 the Emperor handed power over to the rebel Vietnamese government drawing the Nguyen era to an unfortunate and rather abrupt end.  There wasn’t much information on the transition period.

I was tired by late afternoon and wanted to get those bus tickets sorted out.  We started to walk back, but ended up taking an absolute age as Lori, trying to but post-it notes, got collared by a Vietnamese woman trying to improve her English.  We spent a long time helping her and got the feel good factor from it, but it did leave us in a race to get to the office before closing hours.  We made it and spent the remainder of the night sulking whilst watching HBO.

Hue