Being Geeky is Infectious - Thank God for Football

London Travel Blog

I got up at a decent hour for a Starbucks breakfast with Jeff and then jumped on the tube to Barnet to drop off my bags at a friends flat (where I had decided, not asked, to stay).  Lori was joining me for the day and she had always said she really wanted to go the the Transport Museum.  Arrggghhhh – more museums, but, you know what?  You would not be hearing a moan from me; I was secretly excited as well.

It’s another superbly organised museum, was I in Germany already?  Well, the bid, red London Bus said ‘no’, but I will admit to being mildly impressed with British systems for a change.  You start upstairs, back in time, and follow a carefully laid out path through the ages up to the present day, viewing all the colections and reading hoards of information along the way (Lori HAS to read absolutely everything, but I can’t talk, guilty as charges as well).  I was fascinated!  All the trains, buses, trams, tubes, even taxis all have their own charisma.

Time seemed to fly by and it quickly became 5pm and I need to get on te tubed ASAP.  I said my goodbyes to Lori and Jeff (Jeff  came to meet us in the museum after his London meetings) and made my way to the flat.  Charistically late, I got changed into some slap dash football gear and jumped into the car with my friend, Tim.

Earlier in the day, Tim had called me, saying he could do with a player to help out his team in a 5-a-side leauge, so I happily accepted.  The team they were up against were undefeated and already promoted!  Cheers buddy, you didn’t tell me that!!  Anyway, we kicked off, and within a few minutes, I cracked one in with the left foot, followed by another left foot effort just a couple of minutes later.  2-0 up??  What was going on?  Well, that wasn’t going to las, we were 5-2 down by half-time.

With rolling on and rolling off substitutions, I got talking to some of the opposition, and they were pretty riled at conceding too many and scoring to few, when they had previously thrashed every team so far.  Of course I was pretty chuffed to hear this.  Those lads were pretty pleased to be given a bit of a challenge by the end of the game (it finished 12-8) and on a personal note, I was thrilled to bits to have scored plenty of goals (I lost count, at least 5, maybe 6), despite being away from football for so long.  Maybe I can have one last crack at a serious league when I get back, the ambidextretity is still there at least and the touch isn’t bad at all (sorry for coming across as self-praising and, for want of better wording, big-headed, but I was a decent a while ago, and still maintain that passion for the game – just imagine, if I ever have a son, what pressure will he be under?  Live my dream boy, live my dream!!).

London