The Backpacing Begins... and I Missed the Train!

London Travel Blog

Bloody Hell!!!  Whilst playing/cramming with the iPod, time managed to creep up on me.  ‘Shite!  Is it 1:30pm already?’  Ok, normally it wouldn’t take 20 minutes to get from my parents house to Nottingham train station, so I should be okay for my 2 o’clock train…. that is of course assuming I avoid match day!  Bloody Forest made sure I arrive, after a sprint with a backpack, just a couple of minutes late for my train - arrggghhhh!  Ok, I’ not bad in these situations, I have a knack of being able to talk myself out of such situations, maybe I can sweet talk my way onto the next train without any extra cost?  £65 and half an hour later I was on the next train to London with my tail between my legs.

So I arrived late and made my way to the hostel just after everyone else had left for Lori’s party and the 2-4-1 Mojitos.  So, what’s a guy to do?  Power shower, rapid shave, change of clothes, get on the tube, arrive in Campden.  With almost military systematic behaviour, I arrived (via one or two phone calls for directions) within an hour at the bar.

Alcoholically, I needed beer; actually, let’s be correct here, beers.  Ah man!!  I sank my fair share; in fact, I sank a lot of people’s fair share.  It was 2-4-1 on cocktails for crying out loud!  What’s an (English) guy supposed to do??  Set the pace, obviously!!  Anyhow, as it worked out (based on a hazy and possibly factious memory), once the very ‘happy hour’ was over, I grabbed Bondy, Mark and Jeff and headed off to the Oxford Arms for a few pints.

Whoopsy - on return, I found out, we’d left Derek behind…. Ah, sorry man, let’s (hopefully) blame inebriation.

The only other humorous memory of the night (though there should be several) was of a flying Pringles can.  Launched by Lori, I think, the sealed end of the tin conked Bondy on the forehead, sounding out a resonating ‘ting’ (Me and Lori stored this one in the memory bank for many a reminiscent moment).

So by now all of us were nicely leathered.  A total of three drinks had already been spilt on my only pair of jeans (for six months!!!), certainly Bondy was responsible for one of those, Matt (a new chap to me!) was the main culprit, and Ruby, the swine, also joined the ‘to be avenged’ list.

We all signed Lori’s ‘nice to have met you’ book (swapping contact details in the process) and she received such a lovely amount of presents off people.

It really was sweet; something I was lucky enough to witness twice through my blurred vision, but soon after it was time to go to Lori’s ex-place of work, Dollar.

Now I’m not completely sure, but I think we shared a freebie bottle of champagne and a few drinks, but I do have a vague recollection of leaning backwards against the bar as the bar manager poured neat gin down my throat….  Needless to say, the rest is just a blur.  My last fleeting memory was walking up a street with Jeff to meet everyone and get some food.  Somehow I must have lost Jeff as he found everyone else.  I assumed, incorrectly, he was still with me as I phoned Lori saying:

Matthew         “Where are you guys?”

Lori                 “Where are you?”

Matthew         “I’m with Jeff”

Lori                 “You’re not, Jeff’s here??”

Matthew          *Looks around*

Matthew          “Ah shit!!”

Well, I (somehow) found them and we all went back to the hostel.
  Rumour has it I kicked a snoring Mark and was being extremely daft pre-bed.  I’m sure I was beating/getting beat up by Ruby as well… Ah man, let’s obey the drinker’s rule: if I don’t remember, it didn’t happen.
lovely_lori88 says:
hahah ah that was the best night!!!! the pringle can pinging off bondys head, that will be with me forever!!
Posted on: Oct 01, 2009
matthew says:
hahahahaha I think that's fair enough mate
Posted on: Sep 30, 2009
derekbilldaly says:
I'll let you away with it this once buddy, but if you forget me for pints on our upcoming trip, thats it, we're through!!! Well until the next drinks appear...
Posted on: Sep 29, 2009