Back to the Beach

Pangkor Travel Blog

I caught a 10am bus to Ipoh and a connecting bus to Lumut and was very pleased to find the bus station was right besides the ferry port with frequent ferries to Pangkor (every half an hour).  I arrived in plenty of time to get on the beach, and although it was very long, it was very thin and the tide was coming in, making finding a decent spot pretty tricky.  With Coral Beach just a five minute walk further up the road, I went to see if that was any better (the guide books had suggested it was the best on the island).  There was a lot more people there, but with plenty more space it was easy to find somewhere to place my towel and lie in the sun.

The sea was pretty choppy and looked good fun to splash around in, so I got into it, only to be washed back ashore on several occasions.

It gets deep very quickly as well.  Just a few metres out and I couldn’t touch the bottom!  I was having a great time and given the low salinity, I was happy to play around for a while.  I thought a little bit about Lori.  She absolutely loves the sea and I think would have been straight in here and loved it as well.  I’d missed my travelling companion a bit since Cambodia.

I got what I had paid for with my cheapo guest house.  I had a wooden hut with next to nothing in it, a cold outdoor shower with no doors and a squat toilet also without doors and facing the hotel grounds.  Needless to say I wouldn’t be using that!  I decided that Pangkor was a bit too quiet for me to stay more than a night and I would try and get to Taiping for a day instead before Penang.

On heading out for some food, a hornbill flew really close to me and perched just a few feet away.  I rushed back for the camera only to be told by the hotel manager not to worry, there would be lots of them in a moment as the guy next door feeds them at this time daily.  That was at Sunset View Chalet.  If you go around 6:30pm, everyday the manager feeds his friends and he is very welcoming to guests and non-guests alike.  He doesn’t charge for the privilege either which I thought was very kind, and I got some of my favourite wildlife shots I’d had from the whole trip.

I ate well, but in the absence of much nightlife and tourists in this off season, I had another early night.

matthew says:
The beach wasn't great, but it was fine for a day. I wouldn't have stayed longer. I just had a little bit of time to kill
Posted on: Feb 18, 2013
adrianaaaron says:
Overall, did you really enjoy? I thought of visiting Pangkor Island but my friends told me its nightlife is kinda boring
Posted on: Feb 18, 2013