No early bookings for me

Landsmeer Travel Blog

Okay, let's get this straight from the beginning, we haven't made an early booking. Actually I hate to book a vacation months in advance. The planning, that is different, but no reservations yet or any payments.
So, when I told my sister two weeks ago I was thinking it would be nice for me to go to Copenhagen or Milan, just for a day, she interrupted me (she? interrupting? never, no-one of my sisters is ever interrupting....) saying that Milan was on the upper part of her wishlist. So, that settled it, the two of us would go to Milan.

I have this  nice brochure on traintrips. So I figured leaving Amsterdam on the nighttrain in a couchette compartiment, arriving early next morning in Milan, then explore one day, and leave the same night again would cost for the two of us not yet 200 euro. Hmm... nice option - but only if the cheapest tickets were still available...
Going on airplane with Easyjet would cost for the two of us about 225 euro, with the problem that airports are way out of the city center <VBG> not to mention the time of day you have to fly.... which would make a stay over night at a hotel necessary. And Easyjet is occasionaly in the news with cancelled flights, or overbooked planes...
Hmm... come to think of it,  we could stay 2 days even if we would take the train. Well, we'll see about that later.

So, I emailed the traintravel agency about some price indication, but did not get the answer I was hoping for, just the 49 euro a single fare ticket. BTW, I think dealing with a small budget is a challenge <BG>
So, I went to downtown Amsterdam to the agency, to check availabilties, from late April to Mid June we can go for 49 euro to Milan, but to go back to Amsterdam again would cost us much, much more...
These tickets can be booked 180 days in advance.... In September the lowest fare was still available.

We decided we would go after the Summer school holidays.  Not yet booked, but we will have to do that early, before the cheap fare is sold out again, and that assures us we have something to look forward to.

photo by: ik-ben-10eke