My morning commute

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Romantic moment under the bridge

Occasionally I get the opportunity to stand and admire the beauty of the Amsterdam in the morning as I wait for the bus.  This doesn’t happen often as I am normally cutting it as close as possible or get on the bus and bury my nose in a book.  On this particular morning I got the opportunity as I cut it too close and had to wait for the next bus.  I was also fortunate to have a camera with me as I was leaving for a business trip.  Most of the pictures with this blog were taken at the bus stop next to Central Station.  It was a clear and lovely morning.

Spring is arriving and with it the Swans.  They are everywhere in pairs preparing for parenthood.

Domes of St Nicholas Church
  There are also the single adolescences form the previous year, with their gray feathers of youth molting.  It’s amazing that they go from grey and awkward to the gorgeous, graceful, pristine white of adulthood.

I love spring in The Netherlands.  I ride a bus to work in a town called Volendam.  We go through an area called The Waterlands.  It is a rural farming area in marsh land, thus the name.  In the spring we pass fields with all of the baby sheep, cows, and various birds. It is a time renewal and freshness.  Seeing all of the new life and playfulness is a wonderful start a day.

Living in the city center we also get to see the different birds that are determined to nest in the canals.  It is cool to see them take over boats as their private havens each year.  There is nothing for the owners to do but wait until the temporary residents decide to move out.  Of course for some of the boats it is the most use they get all year.

RobMeetsWorld says:
Those birds are HUGE. They can also be mean if you get to close to a really wild one. Amsterdam is a great place to see.
Posted on: Apr 17, 2009
marix_sublime says:
can u please keep one of the swans for me...as pet? hahaah, kidding! nice blog...hope to see amsterdam soon
Posted on: Apr 17, 2009