And we're off...

Pittsburgh Travel Blog

At the airport.

So the day finally arrives, and everything seems to have gone as planned, the boot is off, the shoes broke in, the packing completed. The packing, ah the packing, and the new weight limits for international flights on Continental, the bane of my vacation existence. Now I had packed and unpacked, repacked, took things out that I didn't think I would need. The suitcase had tons of room in it, I mean I didn't even have to expand it! So I was pretty confident I was under the 50 lb weight limit. I decided several nights before we left to actually weigh the suitcase. I had put that particular activity off as long as possible as it then meant I have to weigh myself first, not exactly how I would like to start my vacation, knowing exactly how much I actually weigh.

Acting the ass on the plane.
I did do it though, first myself then the suitcase and wtf the damn thing weighs 55 lbs. So I unpack the suitcase and look at everything I have in there and decide to take some things out. I take all my holiest socks etc on vacation and then pitch them after I wear them so theoretically the suitcase gets lighter as you go. I also have to pack washclothes because more often than not they don't have them in Europe. At least not in the places I've been.  This then becomes an issue because I usually like to have 2 washclothes per day because....well, one for the face and... yeah you get the picture. So I take out a bunch of washclotes and my 2 hoodies and weigh the suitcase and it's the same damn weight. Then I did what any other rational person would have done and put the things back in the suitcase because it didn't make a damn bit of difference anyway.  Had  I known it was going to be near 90 most of the days (hottest May in recent years, and I have a serious adversion to heat and sunlight in  general) and only rain for like 5 hours the whole time I would've taken out the 2 hoodies and the raincoat.

So we get to the airport and the time draws near for the suitcase to be weighed. When we got there there was no one around in any of the Continental lines. Kerry and I went up I put the suitcase on the weigh thing 59 lbs!! Now how the suitcase picked up an additional 4 lbs between my house and the airport is beyond me, but yes it weighed in at 59 lbs. I of course got the lecture about overweigh backs but luckily I had packed a little bag to bring home potential souveniours in so I ripped open the suitcase and threw a bunch of clothes into it while I was still at the desk. Of course in that period of time about 5-6 people had entered the line to watch me frantically unpacking and repacking yet again. My mother had gone to park the car and she said later "when I walked thru the front door and saw someone on the ground with their suitcase open I knew it was you".  LOL, Thanks mom!! I finally got that all taken care of and took it back up threw it on the weigh thing and it was 51.5 lbs, I made this big for Christ's sake noise and the guy behind the counter was like that's fine. I could've hugged him.

A little later we went and got our money changed over and then headed to get something to eat and then through security. Of course, there was like no one flying this particular Sat afternoon, because we were through security in like 5 minutes, with no frisking, which was kind of a disappointment cause there was a couple cute security guys working.   We caught the flight to Newark with no issue and then on to Frankfurt, the food was pretty good, sat next to a solider who was being stationed in Germany and he was hilarious and as an added bonus Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban was on which is my absolute favorite HP movie. No real sleep happened but that's pretty normal so all is well.

sdbleve says:
Geesh, look at what I typed. Unintentional, but still a good pun....well at least I think so!!!
sdbleve says:
I also enjoy your entries. I am glad to see somebody gets to go over sees this spring/summer! :)
Aditu says:
Aww, and you are one of the memberes that I look for comments from because you always make me smile!! Thank you :)
Pittsburgh