Please take me to a Quiet peaceful hillside

Kathmandu Travel Blog

The chaos of Kathmandu... get me outta here. I was so exhausted. Was it really that insanely busy or just me having culture shock or just me being sleep deprived. ...

I'm up on a quiet peaceful hillside. Kumar drove me here and arranged for barfi on the way and some sweets- kheer tonight.

I can hear chanting, drums and it sounds like a band across the hill at the monkey temple. This is an area where there are many monasteries. I saw chickens roaming on my way here and many stray dogs. I like the way the women dress and want to get some of their clothes. ...blend in a little from my obviously white skin.

Tonight I had an ayervedic massage. There's a western toilet here but no toilet paper until morning.

I took a shower with a scoop and a bucket of hot water. Nepal is the second country in the world with the most water and they use hydro power here in Kathmandu, but the electricity goes out for half the day here daily because too many people have moved here and they use the water up. The systems have not been improved. It's apparently due to Maoist government. The soap they gave me to shower with burned my genitals but after I rinsed well I felt so fresh! Neem oil. It's comparable to the first time one uses Dr. Bronner's peppermint hemp soap from the American natural foods store.

My host family cooked me an Ayurvedic meal and kheer for dessert, especially for me! The green grapes were slightly warmed in a bowl of water before eating. It was about not "shocking" the body with the temperature of the food.

There's a padma simbaba alter outside my bedroom with huge crystals. My host family is one of Kathmandu's doctors. aka "The Dr." He practices Ayurveda, teaches massage and yoga or "YOG" as Nepalis call it. He's also a reiki person, naturopath, acupuncturist and acupressurist. He doesn't teach reiki and only uses it on himself- but it's the same here as what I was taught. He knows of other reikis and crystal people.

While departing Singapore, I met a professor in Comparitve Literature. She was very nice and made some recomendatiosn. She's Nepali and owns here own university here.

Coming in on the plane was disappointing The air was yellow/brownand I couldn't see any mountains. I was told that when it doesn't rain, the dust builds up. They primarilly use diesel gas here. many buildings/homes had solar panels on them as I could see from the plane. In some repsects- they were more ahead of the times than we are in the States.

Getting the visa was easy. Using the bathroom at the airport was overwhelimg. No flush, no t.p, tiny stall. Trying to get a taxi from the airport was overwhelmin and very stressful. Everyone tried to get you to go to their hotel. Finally Raj took my 200 rupees offer. The catch was come to my office and maybe we can help you. There I met his brother Ram who is working on coordinating  a shaman/guru/priest for me. This was my first experience with a language barrier. Even though they spoke very good English- we used different vocabulary. He told me many stories about his expereiences. He coordinated an evening of yoga/massage and meals for me.

photo by: sharonburgher