Layover #1

Saint Louis Travel Blog

March 26, 2009 4:40 CST
St. Louis Airport
Well Here I am sitting in the St. Louis airport. I have about a 3 hour layover here in St. Louis. I toyed with the idea of jumping on the subway (which connects directly the airport) and going to see the Millenium Arch. It’s one of those iconic American symbols so I thought maybe I could go see it while I am here. I did however decide against that idea. It’s not that far, only about a 20 minute subway ride each way. So say 50-60 minutes total for travel, get to the gate 30 minutes before time, that there is about 1 hour 30 minutes. With a 3 hour layover that should give me plenty of time to walk around the park at the arch, take a few pictures and get back. I however, have horrendous luck, so knowing me, the train would break down or there would be some ridiculously long line getting back through security. Also I don’t think there is a luggage check here (which is weird, I mean, there were luggage checks at the airports and train stations in Ukraine!) so I would have to lug my carry-on rolly bag as well as my laptop with me and I really didn’t want to do that. So alas, the arch I will have to save for another trip. On a related note, do you think I can claim having been to the state of Missouri if all I have seen is the inside of the St. Louis airport? I want to make it to all 50 states in my life and Missouri is not one I have been to yet, nor really have all that much desire to get to, sorry Missourians.

I really can’t believe my journey has begun. I have to say, I am really freaking proud of myself. Most people state their dreams and desires but never do a damn thing about them, then feel regret later in life. I said I wanted to live overseas and now here I am taking a huge risk by quitting my job in a crappy economy, flying to a foreign country with no distinct plans, but to live life as it comes and make the most of this opportunity. I know this may sound bad to admit, but I really like being the person other people admire and are jealous of. It’s a good feeling. We spend so much of our lives being jealous of other people, it feels good to be the one people look at and go, wow, I wish I had or could do that. Whatever happens at least I won’t feel regret for what could have been. Mark Twain once said, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..” So true Mr. Twain, so true.

Well, I am now going to pass the time by taking advantage of having my laptop and watching “Twilight.” Don’t judge.

Cheers, Cathy