A unique place in this world

Cuatrociénegas Travel Blog

The box turtle... unique in the world!

This trip to Cuatrociénegas was rather random. I can't remember why we decided to join, but it was a group of our friends who was going there using a mobile house. I had never travelled in one of those, so that added up to the experience. In the end, I think it wasn't such a good idea, as the trip was long and uncomfortable. I think you can make it to Cuatrociénegas in 8 hours from Chihuahua, but we did like 12 or 14.

Anyway, when we got to the place it was really incredible. Cuatrocienegas is a Biological Reserve due to the large number of endemic species that live in the area, both in the desert and the lagoons. Actually, NASA stated that the biological reserve of Cuatrociénegas could have strong links to discovering life on Mars, since the adaptability of bioforms in the region was unique in the world.

A desert of gypsum
There are several natural "pools" with beautiful blue water. The water is also thermal, so you can swim on some of them, not all, because some are protected.

We went to their small museum and had the chance to meet one of the living creatures that have Cuatrociénegas for home: the Coahuilan Box Turtle that has the ability to lock herself tightly by means of  a hinge. Nature can offer us some incredible species in the most recondite places.

We also visited the "desert of gypsum", which, as its name states, is nothing but a valley made of natural gypsum sand. It really feels like going to the moon.

I think this place is a great travel idea for environmentalists, or people who love nature in general.

The box turtle... unique in the wo…
The box turtle... unique in the w…
She was cute
She was cute
The blue pool
The last coke in the desert!
The last coke in the desert!
The river