A Backyard for Twenty-Four.

Whistler Travel Blog

Looking back at these pictures really makes me miss living near the snow. The excitement of going to bed with brown earth beyond my window and waking up to a land dressed in a thick white wool blanket of goodness was always my favorite. I miss the adventure of the snow. I remember being a kid and playing in our backyard, which was 6 acres and had a generous and various landscape with hills, trees, and a stream in the woods. I remember how the landscape changed when covered in snow and I remember the love I had (and still have) for that time of year when I would cross my fingers nightly and wish for a snowday! Whistler really was a trip that brought me back to my childhood, even though it was my first time visiting.

In relation to size, age, and how I percieve the world (which is much smaller, but still just as wonderous, as when I was a child)...the mountains at Whistler were the perfect size. It was as if they were put there...to offer me adventure fitting to my age and life experience. The backyard was huge when I was 4, 5, 6, 7...big at 8, 9, 10, 11...still sizable at 12, 13, 14...then it seemingly shrank a little year after year until suddenly I could walk to the stream and back without hours disappearing in between. I could lose days in the woods behind my home...I DID lose days on the mountains in Canada...I could lose weeks if ever given the opportunity.

I surrender to my imagination in places with such views.

-G