EuropeItalyRome

Vatican City

Rome Travel Blog

I set off by myself today to go see the Vatican, since Saida and I didn't go in on our walk the day before. The girls wanted to go shopping, and I wasn't really into that.

The museum is very large, much larger than I expected. I was also surprised to see art that was not religious inside the museum as well. I always thought that the museum was mainly Catholic art.

After spending an amazing amount of time int he museum, I then made it to Cappolla Sistina, or more commonly known as the Sistine Chapel. That was absolutely amazing. I was also a little surprised that the most famous image in the chapel, the Creation of Man, was not a big as I thought it was. It's in the exact middle of the vaulted celing, but it's almost hard to pick out from the rest of the paintings.
Never the less, it was breath taking.

I had to take another secret photo of the celing, because they are extremely strict about pictures in the Sistine Chapel, which is to be expected, since it is such a delicate work of art, and the flashes that most people use can severely damage the paint and cause it to deteriorate at a much faster rate (though I'm smart enough to not use a flash on priceless works of art). In fact, I had to crouch down into the crowd to take the photo, so the guards wouldn't come up to me and tell me to delete the photos, which they did to a couple of girls who were right next to me. So, it's blurry and only of the middle of the celing, but I got the photo. :)

I went out to dinner with the girls again after that, and then we went out to go dancing. I think they liked having an American with them.. they said I'm exotic. That is definitely the first time I've ever heard that! I'm going to miss them when I leave.. they're really fun.

janetbassett says:
What fun to dance away the night -- such great memories for an exotic American man!
Posted on: Apr 14, 2009
the sneaky picture of the Sistine …
the sneaky picture of the Sistine…
spiral staircase out of the vatican