Sorrento

Sorrento Travel Blog

I had the toughest time getting to Sorrento from Naples! Arriving on Easter Sunday was a big mistake, as almost everything in Italy shuts down for the day, including the Circumvesuvian, the local train that runs from Naples to Sorrento. I got to the train staion in Naples to find the gates for the Circumvesuvian locked! I asked a local about it and he looked at me like "yeah, no duh, it's Easter". I had a moment of panic.  What was I going to do?

It was at that point that I saw a family from Ireland in the same prediciment I was. I talked it over with them, and the best we could come up with was to take a taxi to Sorrento, which is 50 kilometers away. 90 euros! I offered to split it evenly with the parents, 30 euro each, but they insisted that they pay for thier children as well, so I only had to pay 18 euros. That was very kind of them. Had it not been for them, my trip to Sorrento would have been insanely expensive.

When I got to the hostel, I was extremely impressed. The place looked like a 5 star hotel! There were tons of staff on hand, constantly cleaning and making sure everyone was comfortable. Getting to my room, I was doubley impressed. The bed was comfy, not lumpy or stiff at all, and the lockers were bedside and very spacious. Then I saw my bathroom. I can't even describe the cleanliness of it. I could have eaten off the floor. The showers were the best I've ever seen! Better than home! There was also was an amazing roof area, with the most gorgeous view of the coast! If you're ever in Sorrento and need a place to sleep, go to Seven Hostel. Best hostel yet. I highly recommend it.

Down at the bar, I was enjoying a glass of wine, when all of a sudden I hear a familiar voice exclaim "Justin!"... I turned around to see Jimmy, my friend from Cinque Terre! It was a very pleasant surprise to see him there. We had some drinks and shared our travel stories from the past week. He bought a bike and rode from Pisa all over Tuscany, before arriving in Bologna and training to Sorrento. It sounded very nice, I kind of wish I had done that.

Later that night, the hostel had a huge party for Easter and I think the bartender said that there were over 300 people there at one point. Tons of locals. Jimmy and I met three girls, Ari and the Mekenzies (there were two of them). We all had a great time dancing and talking into the wee hours of the morning.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I went to St. Peter's Basillica before leaving Rome in the morning and got blessed by the Pope! Not too many people can say they were blessed by the Pope on Easter Sunday!

janetbassett says:
How did you celebrate Easter in Sorrento, Justin? I imagine they have different customs there than in the U.S.
Posted on: Apr 14, 2009