Berlin and the Third Reich

Berlin Travel Blog

I went on a walking tour today that specialized in the Third Reich. It was very interesting to hear some of the unknown stories of how Hitler came to power, and how he was basically insane by the end of his reign. The places covered were the Brandenburg Gate, The Reichstag, The Soviet memorial (which is not very liked by most Berliners), The Holocaust Memorial, Hitler's bunker where he commited suicide (it's now a dirty rundown parking lot.. fitting.), Several Nazi buildings, one of which is now used as the German Finance building (so it's pretty much equally hated right now), a very sobering exhibition of the Nazi Regime, and them finally, the Jewish section of the city, which was quite obviously hit very hard during the Third Reich. However, we ended the tour on a light note and stopped at the sight of the only successful Jewish uprising that took place during that dark period. It was a story of how German women saved their Jewish husbands from being taken off to concentration camps with nothing but pots, pans, and outrage. A very inspiring tale.

janetbassett says:
I have never been to Berlin, but hearing you describe it makes me want to include it on my tour when I'm in Europe. Thanks for the inspiration!
Love, Aunt Janet