AsiaVietnamHanoi

A short stay in Hanoi

Hanoi Travel Blog

After several happy days in Sapa, I took the overnight train to Hanoi.  I arrived at five in the morning and spent about an hour watching the locals do their morning exercises around the lake.  I spent the day exploring the old quarter and visiting the Temple of Literature with some friends.  The temple was boring but the indoor market was worth seeing.  Except for the poor animals!  I saw some terrible conditions poor little kittens and puppies had to endure.  Many were jammed into filthy, little cages.  Makes me shudder to think of it.

Traffic in Hanoi seems crazier that China!  Everyone rides a motorbike and there are very few traffic lights.  I hope I manage to travel Vietnam without beign hit by at bike!  I did discover the trip though:  simply walk slowly and predictably across the street.  This allows the bikers to drive around you safely.  They're all watching.  None of them wear helmets (can't afford decent ones) so they ALL watch the road!

In the evening I saw the a water puppet show.  I thought it was pretty cool.  I've never seen a puppet show like it.  The skilled puppet masters really utilized the pool of water to help tell their stories and the live music was wonderful.  I can see it not being for everyone but it made me smile and I'm glad I managed to fit in a show before leaving the city.
Hanoi