AsiaChinaLhasa

The Tibetan Homeland

Lhasa Travel Blog

Potala Palace
Today is the first day since I arrived in Lhasa when I haven't been incapacitated by high altitude sickness or travellers diarrhea. The first night I arrived I felt alright.  I had dinner at a cozy Tibetan restaurant with some friends whom I met on the train.  I tried the yak steak and it was delicious!

But the next day, after switching to the Yak Hotel, I just napped the afternoon away.  I had such a headache!  And just carrying my pack down the street to the Yak Hotel winded me!  Just walking up the stairs got me heaving!  I have to sleep with the door open so that I get enough oxygen at night.

Thankfully, misery loves company and so I had a dorm mate keep me company as he has been suffering from headaches as well.
in front of Jokrang Temple
  Yesterday we went to the Tibetan hospital together.  A doctor prescribed medicine for us and I feel much better today.  The hospital was a run down large building in the middle of the market street.  There were all sorts of local monks and other Tibetans dressed traditional clothing pushing up to the pharmacy window trying to get their traditional medicines.  I wasn't prescribed any though.  The doctor thought that modern pills would work faster for me.  Fine with me!  I hear that the Tibetan meds taste terrible!

This morning I embarked on the tedious task of getting a ticket to see the Potala Palace.  First I walked around to the back side of the acropolis and got a number written in pen on my wrist.  I lined up according to my number, 79, for about an hour at which point I handed over my passport before getting a ticket with a time on it.  This ticket will allow me to enter the gates tomorrow at 2:30pm to show my passport again and then actually pay for the admission ticket.  I hope it'll all be worth it!

AFTER:  Totally worth it!  Potala Palace was nearly empty because of their tedious entry process.  The palace was the most ornate building I had ever seen in my life!  Too bad I wasn't allowed to take any photos inside though :(

the Bakkor (main square)