A little relax after a stressful thesis defense!!

Ruston Travel Blog

The morning after my thesis defense!

It was Thursday and the day had finally come for my thesis defense. I wasn't that nervous, but I knew it would be long and exhausting, and it was! Two hours of presentation + 1 hr of questions. I was absolutely dead after it all happened! But it was a success! Finally I had obtained what I had come to look for in the United States, a Ph.D degree! It took me a little while to realize it - I was finally a doctor!

We couldn't celebrate the same day because I still had to do a little work on my thesis and submit it on Friday for english check. But this Saturday we did have the chance to celebrate. I thought of preparing Chiles en Nogada - the most mexican dish. I had already made an attempt and they weren't that bad! This time it would be better since I would have the help of my friends.

Dinner's ready!
You wouldn't believe the wonders that three men can produce in the kitchen! I should have taken some pictures so that people would actually believe it was us who prepared the whole meal!

The recipe for Chiles en Nogada is simple, but it takes many steps. The ingredients are:

10 chiles poblanos
1/4 lb of diced almonds
1/4 lf of raisins
Onion
Parsley
Pecan halves or in smaller pieces
Pomegranate
Oil
Salt

The first step is to roast the chiles on a pan until parts of the skin have formed "blisters", then they are stored inside a plastic bag for them to "sweat", that way the skin is removed easily. Then all of the fruit must have their skin removed and then it must be diced in small pieces.

Before enjoying!
Dice the tomato and Onion too. Cook the ground beef in a pan, and add tomato and onion when the meat is almost done. Then add all of the fruit, raisins and almonds when the tomato and onion have been cooked. Leave until it's completely cooked.

Open the chiles on one side and stuff them with the cooked meat. Close the chiles using a small woodstick. Then prepare a pecan sauce mixing the pecan halves with enough milk to make a stiff paste. The sauce must not be runny. Do not add sugar not salt.

Pour the pecan sauce on top of the chiles, then add pomegranate grains on top. We didn't have pomegranates, so we added dried cranberries instead.

I know I should have taken pictures of every step to make it more instructional! But I didn't think of making a blog about it until now.

Mexican food does not usually come with wine, but we wanted to make it very special this time, and so we drank a wonderful Cabernet Sauvingnon that was a gift from my chilean friend. We also had champagne and Fernet - and we had had some beer while preparing dinner, so in the end I was a bit drunk, I can't deny it! But we had a lot of fun. And specially the women enjoyed dinner without having to cook :) Some of the chiles were a bit spicy, but fortunately not the ones I got hehe :D:D

Anyway, just to share with you guys a little of our party last night :)

montecarlostar says:
Hey thanks Vance! :D
vances says:
CONGRATS, Doc!
montecarlostar says:
Thanks Harriet! :D I am very excited indeed. I hope there is much more to go :) and some more travels of course! :D
Posted on: Mar 28, 2010
The morning after my thesis defens…
The morning after my thesis defen…
Dinners ready!
Dinner's ready!
With my dessert!!
With my dessert!!
No cutlery needed!
No cutlery needed!
After dinner and some drinks ;)
After dinner and some drinks ;)
Ruston