International Night at Louisiana Tech

Ruston Travel Blog

Nepali dance

The International Student Office (ISO) at Louisiana Tech always organizes an "International Scholarship night" to help fundraise and support some of the international students that come to this university. In all the four years that I had been here for my Ph.D., I had never attended this event, so I thought it would be a good idea to go. It is an "appetizer-show" event with songs and dances from many countries, especially Asia and Latin America.

The first number of the show was actually a Mexican duo that played romantic songs with a guitar. Not my kind of music, but it was ok. Then came in my opinion the best number, which was a Kumari dance from Nepal, quite cool visually.

Unfortunately there were a few "fake" numbers in the program, for example, the third show was supposed to be african dances, and instead we saw a few girls from Louisiana dancing "waka waka" (!!) The next song was quite cool: "Vietnam que huong toi", beautifully interpreted by a young girl.

Vietnamese song :)
Then it came an indian "fusion" dance that I couldn't understand and a Nigerian "fashion" show that was hillarious.

After all these numbers we could enjoy some of the great appetizers from international food that included Tabbouli (Lebanon), Hummus and chips (Jordan), Vegetable dumplings (China), Tandoori chicken (India), Aloo Sadheko (Nepal) and Jellof Rice (Nigeria). Oh and of course a little flavor of Europe with German chocolate cake, Italian cream cake and Chai from India ;)

The second part of the show was a little less fortunate than the first one. We had a Nepali rock band that was quite bad IMO... and they sang a cheesy song about Louisiana Tech. Then came 4 ladies from the "Belly Project" interpreting a tribal fusion dance. First of all, they were from Shreveport (quite international, huh??) Then, well.

Nigerian fashion show, it was cool
.. ehmm the dance was not too bad, but they all could lose a few pounds. Especially if they were doing belly dance LOL. We had then another "fusion" dance from Nepal that was quite bad, and then a "salsa" number in which there was only one latina girl dancing (!!) No disrespect, but latin music can only be danced by Latin People! LOL!!! We didn't stay to see the last number, but overall I think me and my friends had fun at the dinner, sometimes making a little fun of what was being presented on stage hehe ;)

Mexican bolero music