Afternoon in Kilkenny

Kilkenny Travel Blog

We left Blarney heading for Kilkenny.  I had dreaded this day of driving the most as it was the distance (km) was greater than any other day.  However, I found it to be the easiest day of driving as it was the first time we were on real expressway-like roads.  We arrived in Kilkenny and headed straight for the castle.  The tours were all booked until 4pm so we purchased a ticket and headed out for lunch.  We found a pub to eat not far from the castle called The Playwrite.  Loved the pub, hated the burger.  Seriously, it was pre-cooked then frozen and reheated — gross!  But we did talk with some locals there and had a good time anyway.

We walked around Kilkenny for a bit before our tour.  I didn’t know really what to expect as far as the castle but I was a bit disappointed by the decor.  The guide was good and the castle is in pretty good shape so that kind of made up for the lack of furniture.  She explained why there was no furniture but I just felt that the descriptions of the tour were just misleading.  It is far from furnished and you dont’ get to see half, if not more, of the castle.

Kilkenny