Tallinn, a place of great beauty

Tallinn Travel Blog

Old Town

After taking the ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn, I quickly saw that this city will be alot more beautiful than Helsinki... well that is not too difficult but anyway lol

Got settled and got a text from Kadi that she is a bit early for lunch.  I try to meet locals in every country, to get a better understanding the culture and life in Tallinn.  I met Kadi, a very nice Estonian girl, with a great personality for lunch at Nimeta (A pub with no name) where they have daily dishes, I had some very good pork in garlic sauce.

We had a very conversation about life in Tallinn, travelling around Europe and she showed me the city.  We made our way to viewing platforms where we got a great view of Tallinn, we saw Fat Margrete Church, St.

Oliv's Church, and Viru Gate.  Walking through Old Town you appreaciate the history you are a part of, alleys where many people have passed through in the past centuries.  We made it to Alexander Nevski Cathedral, a Russian Orthodox, I am glad I decided to walking in because we entered midway through a procession!!!  I am not religious but I could appreciate what I was witnessing, the power of the ceremony, a cathedral full of believers, the priest bellowing the sermons, I was a very moving experience.  I even lit a candle for luck!

After seeing most of the Old Town, we made our way to the modern center of Tallinn, full of glass buildings, shopping centers and restaurants.  We went to the Radisson SAS Hotel to the penthouse, home to 'Lounge 24' a great place for food and drink, but the reason why we came here is because it is THE PLACE for the BEST VIEWS OF TALLINN!!!

After a nice refreshing drink, we made our way to the terrace, and I have to tell you the reputation is spot on, the views of Tallinn are fantanstic :D

We then made our way to the another part of Tallinn, full of very Estonian wooden houses, many of which have been renovated as part of the Estonian resurgence.

Old Town from Lounge 24
  Now part of this trip for me was seeing parts of the former Soviet republics, and maybe remembering something more from my childhood.  I grew up in Kharkiv, Ukaine and left for America when I was 8.  Because I went through alot during my immigration, moving from Ukraine to Vienna to Italy, I don't remember much of my childhood.  Walking through the estonian neighborhoods, past Kadi's former school, I thought to myself that this is the type of neighborhood that I grew up in back in Ukraine.

I learned alot about Tallinn, first that it is a very 'E-Friendly' city... The ENTIRE city has FREE WiFi, you can't find that in New York or London!

Thank you very much to Kadi, you were a wonderful guide and pleasant company!

Later that day I met up with my friend Laura, a local lawyer after her work, she was full of life, very interesting person, who loves her job, and enjoys many of the perks that come along with it ;)

Grinning from ear to ear, about her new apartment in Old Town, we discussed life in Tallinn, comparing it to that in the US (Laura studied in Nebraska and Utah for 2 yrs)  We took the tram to the seaside of Tallinn, walked along the beach where they have pathways for bikers & rollerbladers to freely bike,skate, enjoy the weather and the view of the sea.

Alexander Nevski Cathedral
  This is one of the things I really LOVE about Europe, there is always this feeling in the air that people just can't wait to enjoy life, and when the weather gets good, you see everyone outside, in cafes, in parks, enjoying themselves not worrying about their jobs, but living in the moment :D

We made our way to the Presidential Palace, walked through the park and made our way back to Old Town for dinner.  Thank you Laura!

megalomanic says:
I'm so glad you liked Tallinn... I'm going back next year for the first time in 15 years and I've been a little worried that my mind remembers Estonia with all the optimism of an 8 year old. Your photos are beautiful as always. :)
Posted on: Nov 01, 2009
Lounge 24
Lounge 24
Statue by the sea
Statue by the sea
Kadi and me
Kadi and me
Alexander Nevski Cathedral at suns…
Alexander Nevski Cathedral at sun…
Salma and me