Finally in Vilnius, my poor back :(

Vilnius Travel Blog

Clock Tower and Cathedral at Sunset

After the horrible 22 HOUR bus ride, I had to recover a bit...  A human's back should never be subject to that much torture lol.

Now unlike most cities I visit, in regards to Vilnius I had NO IDEA what to see, do, or what to expect.  Only information I had to go on was the way my parents remember the city back in communist days 30 years ago (not much help lol).  Entering Old Town, you are immediately transferred into a world of chuches, cafes, and Baroque architecture!

Old Town is very beautiful, very well kept up and has its own charm, not to many souvenir shops and tourist traps (unlike Prague).  There is St. Casimars Church, the oldest church in Vilnius, St.

Anna Church, which Napoleon loved so much he wished he could put it in his hand and take it back to France with him :)

You make your way through the cobblestoned streets and narrow alleys to Katedros Square (Cathedral Square) where you find Gediminas Statue, to honor the ruler of Lithuanian state, Gedimino Castle, the famous Cathedral and Clock Tower.  Legend has it that Gediminas saw a wolf on top of the hill and the wolf told him to build a castle right on the spot where it is now!

I met up with Doville, a couchsurfer & Travbuddy who was nice enough to show me around the city, the river, we talked about the city, life here, and just enjoyed the nice weather in Vilnius.

Now I was not sure how Lithuanians viewed speaking Russian, I found that opinions vary... some are offended(especially the young people), but I found that the older generation speaks Russian quite a bit, and you can converse with them in Russian if you please.

I also found out that Lithuanians curse in RUSSIAN!!!  Very funny :)

I did use more Russian that I thought I would, and learned a few Lithuanian words as well...

lovely_lori88 says:
WOW Jeff, amazing photos!!!
canadianwandererbre says: