Route 66 oatman and the Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon Travel Blog

Our first stop on the route 66 was the town of Oatman, some people say you must see it or otherwise you didn't drove the route 66.

Little history:
Oatman began 0ver 100 years ago as a mining tent camp and quickly became a flourishing gold-mining center. In 1915, two miners struck a $10 million gold find, and within a year, the town's population grew to more than 3,500.
Oatman was named in honor of Olive Oatman, who was kidnapped as a young girl by Mojave Indians and later rescued in 1857 near the current site of the town. Oatman was served by a narrow gauge rail line between 1903 and 1905 that ran 17 miles to the Colorado river near Needles, California.

But both the population and mining booms were short-lived.

In 1921, a fire burned down many of the smaller shacks in town, and three years later, the main mining company, United Eastern Mines, shut down operations for good. Oatman survived by catering to travelers on old U.S. Route 66. But in the 1960s, when the route became what is now Interstate 40, Oatman almost died.
Oatman's "Wild" Burro's are the descendants of burro's brought here by the miners late 1800 hundred when the miners no longer needed then were turned loose. Each morning they come into town looking for food. They wander the streets and greet the tourists. Burro pellets and carrots are for sale at many of the shops the burros will eat all day if you feed them. Shortly before the sunset they will wander back to the hills for the night.

Arriving at the Grand Canyon is so amazing.

We came from the south from the town of Williams and drove into the Grand Canyon National Park. Our first stop was at the local airport at Grand Canyon and watched the helicopters fly in and out with people who wanted to see the canyon from above. Seeiing the price of 90$ we skiped it sinds we had much more stuff to do on our trip. Seeiing the canyon from the ground is pretty much interesting enough when you see it from the ground. We stayed about 1/2 hr at the airport and drove of to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.  Once arriving at the rim it was pretty busy but finding a parking space wasn't any problem. The view you then get is amazing, never saw anything like that the Canyon is sooooo big and enormus. We made lots of pictures from all of the fantastic views.
We stayed about 1 1/2 hrs and also visitis the visitors centre at the South Rim, lots of stuff to see there.
When we left it took a good hour drive before leaving the grand canyon area. There are so many good spot to stop along the road, were every time the view is different. The grand canyon is an amazing wonder of nature.
From the Grand Canyon we took the highway 89 down to Flagstaff. From there we followed the I40 towards winslow. Between two guns and Winslow we took the exit 233 to the Flagstaff Meteor Crater and amazing site to visit. This huge crater, 0.74 miles in diameter and 550 feet deep was created 49,000 years ago by meteoric impact, and its proximity to the interstate now attracts many visitors despite the high cost of entry. (12$) The interior of the Meteor Crater is first glimpsed from within the visitor center, which has several observation areas equipped with telescopes to study the distant rock walls in more detail. Outside, other viewing areas are connected by short walkways and steps though there is only one trail, 1/3 mile around the rim, and all hiking must be done as part of a guided tour.

!!Pictures from the crater are on the next page!!

youngk3 says:
I plan on visiting there in 2 months. First time going and I'm excited. Thank you for sharing
Posted on: Jun 07, 2009
Travelbuddys says:
Yeah me (dennis) to was there when i was just a little kid, so it was pretty much new for me too!!
Posted on: Jun 06, 2009
marksreynolds says:
I was there when I was much younger. From what I remember it was very cool! I think it's time to go back for another visit :)
Posted on: Jun 06, 2009