On road to Odessa

Odessa Travel Blog

The Fine

We left Kiev on 25 June 2007. Until Odessa it was about 500 km of boring highway.

The cops stopped me. I had about 200 km/h. With big efforts I manage not to laugh in the front off the militia. He is inviting me in the police car. Police car is a LADA brand, painted white with black. From the rear view mirror is hanging a fluffy toy rat. That car did not catch more than 120kmph. After this speed the car will break down for sure.

The militia is explaining me in Ukrainian language that I had 201 km/h and have to pay the fine in a city near and then come back to show proof. I explain that I was rushing and am suggesting to pay the fine to him.

I paid  the equivalent of $10 (is called BRIBE, but good in these situation).
Petrol station
Very happy about this $10 they wish all the good and tell us where the next gas station.

Break

About 150 km of Odessa we stopped. I was very tired of this straight road. There was nothing to attract. Highway was straight and passed over many hills.

We regrouped and all I've consumed the Twix chocolate bars. We refueled and we continued our journey to Odessa.

Entering the city

We reached the end Odessa so we started to look for the address of our accommodation.

Accommodation

Accommodation was paid by Marcos on the Internet at a very bad hostel. We are explained some stupid rules of that hostel.  At least we  had safes in the room, but room was not secure!. The backpacks did not fit into a vault, so we just put the money, phones and documents. Shower was not working ...

City

I went into town to see it but didn't impressed us with nothing. I went on the sea shore to eat something. After I passed near some pubs where the music was awful, we chose a small restaurant on the beach. There I ordered the good and cheap food.  We consumed a lot of beers and cigarettes until Marcos showed up. He arrived in Odessa via Moldova to continue the last part of the route with us. He had a Honda Africa Twin.

Bikes

For parking motorcycles inside we were asked 10USD each. Because it was a rip off, we left them on the street tied up with  a thick cable.
Bikes tied up