The border

Siret Travel Blog

Speed = 200kmph
In the ucrainian part of the border we spent about 45 minutes, managed to get in front of some cars and met two German motorcyclists also standing in line. They were riding a Kawasaki ZZR1400 and a Honda Africa Twin. They were amazed that I set off for such a long trip only wearing jeans. I could have explained to them the difference between the income in Romania and Germany, but I didn't. They went ahead and we didn't meet them again along the way, though we had similar routes, at least for some part.

My bike was registered by a leasing agency and I needed a document to state they were not against my leaving the country with it. I had that document but it wasn't legalized. Luckily, the custom-house officer let me through, but he was pretty nasty about it.

The cow

After we passed the border, Marcos and I quickly reached over 200 Kmph. Pacasac and Skywalker were behind us, riding on about 140 Kmph. In the first village from the border, some cows crossed the road. We both braked, but Marcos hit one of the cows in the back leg. The impact happened at a low speed so it wasn't all that bad.

Marcos had scratches on his knees and elbows. Cornelia was fine; her knees were saved by the knee pads. The police arrived in about 15 minutes. They were speaking ucrainian, though they also could speak Romanian. All the villagers there could speak Romanian but they wouldn't. I consider their police militia: 100% communists.

The police were trying to explain to us that Marcos was to blame!!! How could he be blamed when the cows were crossing a European road, we asked? They said that cows don't have self awareness but humans do, so he was the only guilty person for this accident.
The villagers

They also said that they will restrain Marcos's bike for investigations. Marcos also has a Honda Africa Twin and his father was bringing it at the border, but he had to wait a whole day for that.

This village was once a part of Romania so everyone could speak romanian. But it was curious that none of them wanted to speak romanian when the militia was around.

Marcos was taken by the police to be checked if he had been drinking. It was quite a while before he got back. During this time, two other police men were taking the measurement of the accident for the record. The picture in the right shows other cows crossing the European road in front of the militia who consider this a natural thing and do not act in any way to prevent or stop it.

Another problem was that many villagers gathered around us and we were worried for our bags.
Ukrainian Militia
We watched it very carefully. The militias were taking declaration from people who weren't even present at the time of the accident. It was outrageous.

Some people (part Romanians) were kind enough to give us some water, as we spent around 3 hours at the accident site.

Marcos went back to the border to wait for his father and we set for Kiev. Though we were about 4 hours late, the main thing was that Marcos and Cornelia were fine. She continued the trip on Skywalker's bike.
Siret