Relax day

Kiev Travel Blog

We searched for a place to grab a bite. I didn't want junk-food so McDonald's and KFC were out of the question. We wandered around for quite a while because all we could find was junk-food, but also because Kiev is an impressing city. The tall buildings and the lovely architecture are just stunning.

We couldn't get our eyes off the down town fountains. Everywhere you looked was something compelling, so we took a plenty of pictures.

The statue with gold color in the picture is called Maidan Nezalezhnosti ; it is located in the Independence Square, on Khreschatyk Street.
Some of the great protests in Ukraine took place in this place, including Ukraine without Kuchma campaign and the Orange Revolution.
Maidan Nezalezhnosti

We finally found a restaurant. It had a Georgian specific and was quite expensive. The interior was very nice and the entrance had a little staircase crossing an artificial spring.

Cornelia ordered a Samkhretuli (37 hrivna), it was a sort of salad with chicken and feta cheese. Pacasac considered it to expensive for a meal so he only got two beers. I ordered chicken with pressed cheese and a Georgian beer, I think it was unfiltered. Cristina got a traditional Georgian dish, with rice and beef.

After we ate, we went to get some beers. Unlike Romania, where drinking in public is not legal, in Kiev allows this. So everyone is walking in the street holding a beer. It was incredible and we took the opportunity to have a beer in the street. Actually we had several beers in the street.

The beer was cheap, but I wasn't used to the taste of local brands and tried several before I found one I liked.

We took the subway, not having a clear destination. It is very cheap: 0.25 RON per ticket and it comes very often too. We found ourselves by the Dnepr river side and thought about taking a swim in the water. Obviously, none of us had their swimming suit so we had to buy it from the local salespeople.

Georgian restaurant