Two weeks is just not enough!

New Zealand Travel Blog

I had the perfect plan. I would fly fish for a week on the South Island and then jet off to the North Shore to SCUBA dive for two days and a night at the Poor Knights Island.

Mother Nature had other plans. I definitely got in some good times flicking flies to huge trout, but the rains fell until the streams turned into rivers and the rivers were looking for places to overflow into. The lakes ran out into the paddocks. A few trout still were fooled into eating the artificial bugs I presented to them. All but one of them were released again to put a smile on another angler's face at some point in the future.

With defeat in my heart from the one-to-zero score with Mother Nature, I headed off to take a few photographs of the Auckland area before driving up to Tutukaka where I planned to board Pacific Hideaway for a weekend of SCUBA diving. On Friday evening, the call came from the dive shop. The seas were predicted to have 5 to 10 meter swells with 100 kilometer-per-hour winds. The predictions were quite accurate. By Sunday, 01 March, things had calmed down enough to do two dives, though.