Train from Dar es Salaam to Mwanza

Dodoma Travel Blog

The Dar to Mwanza train should take 26hours NOT 48 hrs as my trip took !!

I love long train journeys ..this one was longer than most . Dar Es Salaam to Mwanza is about 1,800km  , scheduled to take abt 26hrs but the old train broke down twice and the trip took 48hrs.

I actually enjoyed the whole experience , there is something fascinating about being the only non African on a train carrying over 2,000 passengers.

My student friend and I took a "FIRST CLASS" sleeper ,think cost abt 27usd for the whole journey . It was "First Class" once about 40 years ago , when the carriages probably ran from Edinburgh to London for British Rail.

The windows had to be kept shut with planks of wood , otherwise local youths would climb along the roof and possibly enter your compartment and steal your luggage.

The "Buffet" car was like a wild west saloon on wheels , full of beer swilling younger Tanzanians , listening to Rap Music at full volume.

Train is still going nowhere

Food consisted of Chips , eggs and something that resembled a sausage ..snouts and eyeballs ..me thinks!!

The scenery was stunning, huge skies, sunsets like I had never seen before , local village life right beside the tracks, the Pros far outweighed the Cons on this epic rail trip .

The Railway stations were solid buildings ,either built during German or British Colonial times .

The TANZANIAN RAILWAY CORPORATION service is no longer running the full journey ,I think you have to bus it to Dodoma from Dar and then train to Mwanza .

Mwanza is a very laid back Town which sits on the shores of Lake Victoria ..more later

The Dar to Mwanza train should tak…
The Dar to Mwanza train should ta…
Dodoma