Excuse me... did I leave the States?

Cancun Travel Blog

A street in the hotel area

This trip to Cancún arrived as a totally unexpected experience. I was invited to present a paper at a conference organized by the Mexican Association of Materials Science. Of course, I was not going to say no to sunny Cancun! I got some funds from my advisor to go there, and I paid the rest of the trip myself. I took a flight from Atlanta (I think) and after two hours I was there.

I was greeted at the airport by staff from the hotel I had booked, and in a few minutes I had arrived to my hotel. I didn't want to spend much, so I booked a hotel with view to the Lagoon instead of the sea. As soon as I got in the tourist area I learned that Cancun isn't much that just a strip with hotels, restaurants and clubs. Everything looks like the US, I wasn't sure if I had arrived in Miami instead LOL.

Wearing a guayabera in the hotel room

The turquoise blue color of the sea is incredible. I had never seen such a thing.

I made sure I would have plenty of time to enjoy besides of attending the conference, which is really what I was there for.

One thing that was strange for me is the way the beach is sectioned. You actually can't just walk all over the beach, you are restricted to your hotel beach or the public beach. Since my hotel didn't have its own access to the beach, I sed the public beached. OMG the water was sooo deliciously warm. Some of the waves were a little high, but it was comfortable to be there jumping the around, LOL. I had to shower the sand off me at a public shower place, and then take a bus back to my hotel. That was the only thing I found a bit uncomfortable, but everything else was great.

I had some wonderful Mexican dinner at a touristy restaurant. Food was some sort of Tex-Mex hehe I guess they prepare it like that for the many American tourists that visit the area every year.

A street in the hotel area
Wearing a guayabera in the hotel r…
Wearing a guayabera in the hotel …
Cancun