Urban Escape in Bangkok

Bangkok Travel Blog

with the blue guy @ suvarnabhumi airport
So what's so special about Thailand? It's soooo Thai? What do I mean? It's just so Thai!

From the moment we landed at the Suvarnabhumi Airport, we felt it. From the art work, the statues, the text all around us... it was simply screaming Thai... and it was a good feeling- t
o be somewhere foreign but feel their culture rubbing in you.

My travel buddy / good friend Michiko was saying she feels like being so immersed, she's learning their accent in less than a day.

After getting out of the airport, I dug into my file in search of my "how to get out of the airport" printouts. We then went to one of the exits to get a ride in the airport express. And we saw an Assumption College bus.... How cute is that?!

While waiting, we got hold of some helpful maps that we got from the airport arrivals and we tried to look for a place to stay.... We weren't booked in any hotel in Bangkok btw.
the Assumption bus
Talk about being adventurous.

After getting on the airport express bound for Siam - the city center - and after an hour of being stuck in traffic -  we then got off at Phaya Thai station. And right there, we found our home for the next 24 hours.

It's a very affordable hotel (see review :)), not even in a single map that we looked up. But service was good and they had a decent room. It is near the great malls in Siam (Paragon, Discovery, MBK). And for 40 US Dollars, it was certainly a bargain!

After settling down and making friends with the bell service, Mr Samlong, we discovered that the best way out of Bangkok to Huahin - a lovely city down south and is our next destination - was via minivan in the Century Mall station. This is for 180 ThB only.

So we did our urban escape for a day in the malls- Siam Paragon, Discovery. For real bargain, I recommend the MBK mall, and they have this really interesting restaurant, The Fifth Food Escape, with all kinds of food you can think of: Greek, Italian, German, you name it. Of course we got Thai.
with the blue guy @ suvarnabhumi a…
with the blue guy @ suvarnabhumi …
Siam Paragon
spicy but yummy
spicy but yummy
Bangkok Hotels & Accommodations review
Affordable hotel in Bangkok
It was a gamble. We haven't made any reservations for Bangkok, and it was our first time. We checked out the first hotel we spotted, Right where the A… read entire review
Bangkok