Bengaluru Travel Blog› entry 1 of 1 › view all entries
I just finished conducting my class when my partner Shy messaged me and said that she had great news for me...and I was like cool!! It turns out that during the management meeting it was mentioned that I was going to leave for India...and that I need to be there on the 9th and i was like what?!! Anywho, Thank GOD!
I had an incoming batch and was allowed 2 weeks to fix everything...Get a visa, get a suitcase (LOL the last time i went out I just had a backpack hahaha), and make the necessary arrangements for my trip....When i heard about that news it came as a shock. I knew that I was going to leave for India since last year but I didn't realize that it was this soon...heck the discussion about my leaving for India has been going on since July of last year...so this was surprising...Mixed emotions really...excited because it's my first trip outside alone..scared because of that fact too hahahaha Sad because I'll be celebrating my birthday alone and away from my beby on her birthday too...Happy because finally I'll get certified but damn!! A month for a certification..interesting and scary at the same time...Being a Shaggedelian I know I'd do good! LOL
It was the last day of my class, and I had to assess all of them. Sigh..Was a very long day and my flight was at 220PM the next day.
Finally at around 10AM, my beby woke up and along with our BFF and roomie Larry came to the office to take me to the airport. But first, we had our last meal together. We just went outside and ate at Trellis and then off to the Airport.
I've been here for 3 weeks now and I have not tried exploring on my own as in ALONE. The area where I'm staying is about an hour away from the city...been out of the campus twice but hell it took more than 30 mins to get to the city and I didn't want to do that alone mainly because I might get lost LOL
The buses do not run 24 hours in a day like in Manila, in fact, just going to this area where I'm staying took 2 hours and 1000+ worth of cab fare.
I went out with a friend 2 Sundays ago and tried shopping...ran out of clothes hahaha We went to MG road to the Forum mall. It was about 30-45 mins away from Infy city. I had to take the 365C "Volvo". There were a lot of good stores inside the mall.
So the best place to shop here I heard was on Commercial St. It's a very long road that had a lot of mini-stores selling clothes and bags, authentic Indian merchandise etc. It reminded me of Divisoria in Manila. There was a department store there too. Max Department store where I bought some clothes. After that a couple of blocks down Commercial St. We had coffee at a local coffee shop called Barista. The ambiance was nice. Good place to chill and hang out. All in all my first time to explore Bangalore during the daytime wasn't all that bad.
I went out again yesterday, we went to this restaurant called Indijoes Sizzlers I'm not sure what street it was on but the food was terrific! I ate Satellite Steak which was Awesome!! They had this American Pop culture theme going on, with the walls filled with pictures of famous Hollywood celebrities. They were also playing American songs which to me was a relief. After that we started explorin Commercial Street again. Just when we were about to leave the rain started pouring. So we ran until we saw a bar called Helios. Not the same as the bars in Manila but manageable. Had my first bottle of Indian beer which I was told was stronger than any other beer in the world. Not bad...it was a draft beer and then we left. My friend had to return his friends motorbike so we had to travel for a couple of minutes and had to go inside a subdivision where I just proved to myself that cows are all over the place in India.
So, what have I learned during the past few weeks here? I've learned a lot about their culture..
· In some parts of India, you shouldn’t be getting anything with your left hand. Why? Because it’s considered unclean. Why? Hmmm just think about the things that you do with your left hand when you go to the toilet… Hahahahaha
· That in some parts of India, there’s also discrimination i.
· That they show respect by touching their elder’s feet
· That they drive on the left side of the road (which was very confusing for me hehehe)
· That they have the term Veg and Non-veg wherever you go…Go figure! J
· That if we have stray cats and dogs in Manila, they have stray cows LOL
· That they use certain words which may be misconstrued e.
· That they pronounce Philippines as Philip-PINES (as in the tree)
· That not everybody wears a bindhi
· That bars close at 1130PM because there was a mandate released by the state that no bars should be open after midnight
· That in some areas, there's such a thing as "eve-teasing", where women who dress up like westerners are beaten up :(