And then there were two!

Dawson Travel Blog

Colourful buildings make me happy.
I don't think I've been in Canada for Canada Day in a long time so this was a nice treat. Small town celebrations are fun. We wandered around town and saw the parade though it wasn't much. The main attraction was the fire trucks. Other than that, there was just some guys in their hockey jerseys waving sticks around. We got free cake at the visitor's centre where I also snagged a flag and a pin. We brought Sam to the airport before making our way to the pool for the Canada Day toonie swim. It was nice to relax in the pool and take a much needed shower afterwards. I think the last time I showered was on the ferry. SCARY.

We stopped by the gold panning contest which was a site to see. Everyone who competed had their own method of panning. Some did the swirl, the swish, the flick etc. I'm still not sure how exactly panning works.
Yay trucks.
Someone tried to explain about how gold weighs more than the silt or something like that. There are all sorts of pans with different numbers of levels/ridges etc. Anyway, even though I didn't understand what was going on I enjoyed it.

The best part of the day was discovering the Dancing Moose. A small souvenir shop that sold prints by Natalie Parenteau, the artist who did the labels for Yukon Gold & Red beer. I ended up buying two pieces...thank you gifts for my sister and a friend's parents. I really wanted something for myself but I held back. I hope I don't regret it!

We hung out with Dieter for a while before goign to the Pits & Diamond Tooth Gerties for drinks with Raphael. He's a Swiss German who's been studying English in Vancouver...he was looking for a ride down to Whitehorse or even father. He kayaked on his own from Whitehorse to Carmacks...and this was his first time, EVER kayaking. He kind of swears funny but is so nice. He talked all about the armed forces and being a carpenter. It's always nice to meet travelers. We told him if we were going down to Whitehorse and skipping the Dempster we'd give him a ride. I think picking up hitchikers is not so bad as long as you're not by yourself and way up north. Who knows if I'll ever do that again.
Yay trucks.
Looked kind of dirty but fun.
Looked kind of dirty but fun.
Some liked to sit...