A trip to the National Zoo

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Would like to share with everyone a trip we've had to the National Zoo. I do not know about other countries, but somehow in Malaysia, sorry to say, I felt that our citizens do not love our country that much. Just take the national zoo for example, many people, living in KL alone have not been to our National Zoo. I myself, am ashamed to say that for 10 year in Kl, have not thought of visiting the zoo. One very bored day, i finally decided its time to see what we have.

Photobucket Photobucket

We went early, about 11am, so there wasnt much of a crowd yet. It was a warm humid day as always, so dess light, bring along sun block, sunnies, cap and a water of bottle if you can.

Its probably just a regular zoo.  But for me, a very much city gal, I found some animals to be really facinating.

This for example.. The rooster. Or as some of us call it.. the cock. (giggling?) In the kampungs (village), this is a very very common sight. Kampung folks would be laughing at me for taking a picture of the rooster. hehehe... but for me... I dont see this every day unless its cooked and im ready to eat it. :P

Photobucket

And our distant relatives... the monkeys.. :P
There were many species there, so not sure which is this. But there were boards around explaining its origins and good general info.

Photobucket

The all famous, orang utan.

Photobucket

This is called a gnu if im not mistaken. It was together with a whole family of bulls.

Photobucket

Behind us is a big black bear. Although it looked very cuddly and friendly, the info board actually says to beware, as it is considered a vicious species, hence it is placed in a secured area far away from kids.

Photobucket

An otter, rare sight for me. :)

Photobucket

A family of deers. We can actually buy pieces of bread to be fed to the deers. Not sure why they eat bread, doesnt really make sense, but they loved it!!!

Flamingos!!!!!!!!!!!
Photobucket

Giraffes! Tallest animal in the world!!!

An ostrich!

Photobucket

A Camel!!!!~~!!~~!! Big ugly and smelly...

Photobucket

I was actually very scared of these birds, but tried to be brave and pose near them to take some pics. The info board actually warned us about getting to close, as they might attack if felt harmed.

Pretty swan... :)
Photobucket

After about half a day in the zoo, I was sweating, thristy and having mix feelings. On one hand, its really enlightening to see and learn about so many animals. On the other hand, i felt pity for these animals. They were raised in captivity and will never have a chance to feel what the wild is like. However, on the bright side at least they are well fed and kept healthy, all for the objective of educating us human beings. What an ironic place. :)

Overall, I've truly enjoyed my trip to our National Zoo.