Easy Like Sunday Morning--in Zion

Zion National Park Travel Blog

Good morning...it's easy to wake up to this. Virgin River and Angel's Landing in the background.

It was chillier this morning when we awoke after a windy night. At least until the sun's rays made it over the peaks. Even after camping down here just 2 days you already have a sense for the rhythm of the place. We wasted no time this morning, eating and cleaning up camp to be out the gate and to our morning hike by 10 am.

We decided to take it a bit easier today and do the Emerald Pools Loop. I like hikes that have a destination, and water is always a sure bet for beauty. Starting off on the sunny trail we shortly arrived at the Middle Pool. Despite the fact that we were there in early spring it was already pretty dru and the 2 little streams running from the Middle Pool gently trickled over the cliff edge, forming 2 delicate waterfalls into the Lower Pool below.

The tree of life!
Continuing on to the Upper Pool we huffed up the steep, rocky trail. Though a little tiring, this pool is well worth the extra exffort. Even with the sheer red rocks cliffs soaring up around us, the pool managed to retain its greenish hue. When I shared this obervation with Adam he gave me a funny look and said "green, you mean like emeralds?" Falling right into it I eagerly said "yes, like emer...oh! you jerk!" Adam busts out laughing, knowing full well he caught me. Greenish waters leading to the hike being called Emerald Pools...pulling an Ashley once again.

After getting some more camera shots here we head back to continue the loop down to the Lower Pool. I'm glad we went the direction we did on the loop because otherwise we would have had to walk up, not down, the looooooong stone staircase.

The camera man at work.
The Lower Pool was cool because the trail actually leads you behind the two waterfalls pouring off the rock above from the Middle Pool. A fine mist sprayed out, glinting a rainbow in the sunlight. The extra moisture allowed for a fine layer of moss on all the nearby rocks. After passing out from teh falls we headed down the last part of the loop through shady trees, ending up parallel to the Virgin River and crossing a bridge back to the packing lot. We once again ate our lunch from the back of Adam's truck, enjoying the last refreshing views, relaxing outside before beginning the car ride back.

Since Adam had forgotten the cream to my coffee and I forced to drink black, instant coffee for 2 straight mornings (something which I would not let him forget), I made him stop for java in Springdale.

Watering the pools.
We went to the Mean Bean Coffee Company, an independent coffee shop with all the paraphernalia you'd expect: free tibet stickers, organic milk, and a smattering of flyers about environmental causes. Typical nature hippie signs on the walls. I got my iced caramel latte and then back on the road again home.

The drive back always kind of sucks. Without the anticipation of the trip the miles on straight road just drag by. The only exciting thing about heading home after a camping trip such as this is the thought of the hot shower that awaits you at home. There is nothing I look forward to more than that. Adam was tired so I took the wheel of the truck for most of the drive home. I flipped through my I-Pod, unable to settle on a song for long. Restless with music and sad about leaving our Zion. But all-in-all it was a great weekend getaway. Note to self: do more of these all summer long! It's right at our fingertips. Why wait?

Good morning...its easy to wake u…
Good morning...it's easy to wake …