Farm work

Bowen Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 1 › view all entries

On Sunday, Nicholas, Claire and I were ready for 6am incase we were needed for work. However at 6am we were told there was no work that day because it was raining at the farm (which is 45km from our Hostel). So I went back to bed till about 1pm, had lunch, read and used the internet before going to bed.

On Monday we started work at 7am and finished at 4pm with only a half hour lunch. The sun was so so so hot all day and ultimately I got a little sunburnt. The work that Nicholas and I were doing was hard manual labour and at this time there are no other backpackers working to help which made the work harder. Thankfully though I was alive enough to drive us back to the hostel and after tea and a nice shower it was time for an early night!

Today (tuesday) we got up at 5am and started work at 6.30am. There were alot more backpackers and our morning consisted of making holes every 30cm and then planting a watermelon plant and seeds in it (this work involved stretches of nearly a mile, so it was tough walking a lot in the blazing sun). I really felt like packing it all in as the sun really takes it out of you but after a FEW prayers I felt God helped me in the afternoon when there was less presure to do our work, I got more water to drink and God sent us a nice breeze and cloud for half an hour or so.

At the end of the day we went to the supermarket (where they didnt accept my card!) but i had the exact change to buy my weekly shop lol. This Friday I really hope to set up my Australian bank a/c which will help paying my rent and is needed for my payments to go into.

Once back to the hostel, there are two more guys and supposedly 6 girls are coming this week. I just hope 1) the workload gets spread out better, 2) the sun isnt so hot for as long and 3) I can persevere!! :)

Thanks for reading this and I hope you are all well back home.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Sponsored Links
photo by: Morle