The belly dancers

Marrakech Travel Blog

One word of advice never forget your camera.  Bring your camera everywhere.  Just when you think that you have run out of photo opportunities another one will just pop out at you.  We went for dinner at Le Sabal, a restaurant that we'd eaten in the day before, so I didn't expect any new scenes.  On arrival we are taken to the restaurant inside even though we did request to eat outside.  The restaurant is romantically dimly lit, with mirrors on the walls and red chiffon curtains hanging on the ceilings and pillars.  We order and wait patiently for our meal when around 9.30pm the music gets incredibly loud and all the waiters stand aside.  Before you know it two belly dancers come out shimmering in glitter and bells.  There are two of them, one in red and other in silver.  The lady in silver is weighed down with all the singles attached to her outfit while the lady in red has simple tassels here and there.  A huge family with about 6-7 kids grab them front row seats for the action and the oldest boy maybe about 10yrs kid is in awe of these ladies.  Personally I thought it was a bit x-rated for them.

The dancers shimmer around you for about 7 mins before they rotate and move to the other side of the room.  They grab innocent bystanders up onto the floor to join them.  Some very willing to get up there and others a little more shy.  Tips are obviously welcome.  They do a couple of rounds lasting about 15 mins and then disappear back stage again.  They wait backstage until 10.30pm and the show starts again.  This time Otu is pulled up onto the floor and I missed the moment as I didn't have my camera.
photo by: sweetet