Jardin Majorelle

Marrakech Travel Blog

Leading into the ponds
From the Hotel the gardens are actually at a walkable distance.  I walked as far as the train station hoping that there would be lots of taxis available to hail down.  Unfortunately they all seemed to be busy, every taxi had a passenger in it.  I had my map in hand and a bottle of water as I set off on a mission.  The sun was very hot and I really wanted a taxi at this point.  Only one taxi stopped for me and he seemed very creepy.  He was already carrying a passenger and was too keen for me to get in.  I declined and continued the walk.  Luckily it was only a straight road, so all I had to watch out for was the cars on the road.  I must have walked about 30mins at a a brisk pace before I saw the sign 300m, 2nd left Jardin Majorelle.
Into the museum windows
  I almost jumped up and punched the air!

I followed another group of tourists and joined the queue.  30DHS entry price.  As I walked in I felt calm almost immediately.  The walks painted blue, yellow and green, with tiled floors and garden fountains.  The tall palm trees shade you from the blazing sun.  You follow the path of the garden discovering the madagascar plants, cactus plants and money trees that are blooming.  The bamboo trees are all scarred with mindless graffiti, which is a pity that people can't respect the plants, the beauty of nature.  I follow the path through to the memorial for Yves St Laurent.  It has a silence plaque on it so that people can come in a silently pay their respects.
Twisted branches
  A noisy crowd behind me oblivious to the silence come blaring in at the top of their voices.  They soon realise and quieten down.

My favourite part of the garden is the pond where all the turtles all bundle together by the edge of the pond.  The pond itself was quite dirty but you could still see the little fishes swimming about.  The pond path leads on into a long lane full of plants that are all potted in multi-coloured ceramic pots, blue, yellow, orange and green.  The walls stay consistently blue and the grills/detail always in a yellowy orange colour.  The museum of Islamic arts is also located in the garden.  20DHS to enter.  A boutique and a cafe also are in the grounds of the garden.  I spent over an hour just sitting on the bench and enjoying the silence, completely forgetting that I was in the hub of Marrakesh.
Finer detail

As I left I was accosted by a host of taxis and caleshes.  I decided to walk as I knew the route and felt comfortable doing it.  I stopped off at the train station on the way back so that I can stock up on some snacks, local and international brands and no haggling.  I stop off at the news stand to get a bottle of water and the man tries to trick me by charging 8DHS for a small bottle of water when I know for a fact that the big bottles are 6DHS.  PAH! I leave without buying nothing and stop off at the next one and pay the correct price for it.  You just need to watch out on every corner someone is trying to trick you out of your money.
baby turtles