Encounter Marrakesh

Marrakech Travel Blog

Ryad Mogodor menara and spa
Nothing really prepares your senses for the assault of sights, sounds and smells that you experience in Marrakesh.  I read about it and read about it and read about it.  Tips from travellers, reviews and blogs all tell you this and that but when it comes to the real thing you really have to embrace the experience and make it your own.

When we stepped off the plane I expected dusty air and heavy pollution.  Instead I was greeted with crisp air and a gentle breeze.  The airport small but clean, the walls I remember being very white and the floors shiny marble.  A couple of other planes had landed at the same time and so the queue for passport control was slow.  The passport immigrations officers looking very laid back and barely glancing at you as they handle your paper work and passport.
Grand chandelier in reception

When we finally reached the exit, I was excited to get into the city as quickly as possible.  I had read that 70-80 DHS was a reasonable price to pay for the taxi ride.  So I had that price set in my mind.  The taxi driver offered 150 and immediately I shake my head, the price suddenly drops to 100, which I am still feeling over priced.  I attempt to get this down to 80 but Otu accepts immediately and jumps into the back seat.  His argument is that he can't be bothered to stand there battling out the cost for the sake of saving just under 2 quid.  My view is that its the principle of paying a fair price and not being swindled by these taxi's.  To be fair, when you've had a 3 and 1/2 hr flight the last thing you want to do it hang around haggling down the price of a taxi so fair play to Otu.
Grand hallway

Anyhow, barely 15 mins later we pull up outside the hotel, Ryad Mogador Menara and Spa on Mohammed VI.  It looks every part the 5* hotel.  The grand chandelier in the middle of reception glistening, waxed shiny marble floors and intricate decor.  5 floors, 3 restaurants, bar, boutique and spa.  We saw the prices for the spa and hammams around 500-700 DHS for the various treatments, even to use the indoor pool 120 DHS.  The prices are too rich for, I can pamper myself for free.

We make our way to the second floor and open up to a superb room.  Huge and spacious with a balcony.  The room has two queen sized doubles pushed together, which I never understood.  Why not just have one huge king sized double?  A small coffee table and set of chairs, I guess this is where we are to enjoy our afternoon mint tea.
Road side view
  A shame that there was no mini bar, the fridge was empty and no facilities to make your own tea and coffee.  The layout of the toilet and bathroom are separate from each other, which I prefer, both clean and well spaced.  The safe didn't work and when we tried to explain this to the receptionist for her to send someone up to fix it she kept saying he was busy... this was the excuse throughout the week.  The balcony door handles were loose but that was fixed as soon as we requested it.  The view out of the window was of the side road, not too much noise but do request a garden facing room to avoid disappointment.

We spent the first afternoon relaxing and unpacking, while the clouds opened up and unleashed a down fall of heavy rain.  Needless to say we stayed in a ordered room service.  The prices were reasonable for a 5* hotel but hell we didn't care anyway, that's what mastercard is for.  There were a few English speaking TV channels and luckily for us a movie was showing.  We kicked back and rested awaiting our week of adventures to start the next day.

Palais des congress