Valencia Travel Blog

This past weekend, I went with a couple of my classmates to Valencia.  It was a last minute trip, but well worth it.  We arrived to Valencia on Saturday afternoon after a nearly 2.5 hour train ride.  Once we arrived, we spent a little time trying to figure out how to get to our hotel from the train station.  Our hotel was located in the Aqua Mall area and was pretty far from the train station, however it was a very nice and modern hotel.   After we checked into our hotel, we went to a restaurant for paella.  Since Valencia is known for its paella, we wanted to find a place with good paella.  The hotel recommended a place on the beach, however we asked some people in the street about the place and were told that the food is pretty expensive and not all that good.  So we went searching for restaurants.  We happened to find one place randomly.  The service was fantastic and the food was amazing.  The restaurant gave us a couple of appetizers "on the house" and we ordered a different paella dishes - chicken, chicken and lamb, and seafood.  This was my first time eating paella in Spain and definitely lived up to all the wait.

After we finished lunch, we went to the beach to play around for a few.  We took several pictures at the beach of us having fun, posing, and attempting to jump off a wall.  The beach was completely empty since it was not that warm outside, but the beach was really pretty and I think that it will be really nice when the weather gets hotter.  After playing at the beach we went to a cathedral that claims to have the "Holy Grail".  The cathedral was nice, but it was similar to many other cathedrals that I've seen in Europe.  We tried twice to see the "Holy Grail" but each time it was not open.  Oh well, I guess it is ok since it has really never been discovered anyway.  That night we went to a local restaurant for dinner.  For the first time I tried Catalan Cream, which is a vanilla pudding with a biscuit in the center.  It is a really good dessert that is common throughout Cataluyna.

For our last day in Valencia we went to a Valencian art museum.  It was interesting to see the transition of art from the 16th to 19th century.  Overall, it was a very nice museum and I really appreciated it.  We ended our trip with lunch at a really good italian restaurant.  After lunch we headed back to Barcelona.

Overall, I really enjoyed Valencia.  It was good to travel to another and smaller city in Spain.  The people in Valencia are extremely nice and probably the nicest that I've seen since in Spain.  Also, the food is great as well.  I can't really comment too much on the nightlife since we only went to a lounge after dinner, but it seemed really nice.  Valencia is also the site for Las Fallas in March.  I am not sure if I will return for that, however if I do.  I will have to visit some of the places that I didn't have a chance to see before.

photo by: voordax