Lisboa and Sintra

Lisbon Travel Blog

Wine tasting in Lisboa
This past weekend I visited Portugal.  Even though Portugal was not high on my places to visit while I am here, I went ahead and took the trip because it is close by and the flight was cheap.  I went with a group of 11 people in total.  Overall, it was a good group to travel with, however maybe just a lot of people for one trip.  Also, there was only one guy in the group, so he was basically the escort for the other 10 women...lucky him.

I arrived to Lisbon on Saturday morning.  A group arrived the previous day and had already seen some of the city.  We stayed in a really cute hostal called the Lisboa Story Guest House.  It was my first time in a hostal and I wasn't really sure what to expect.
However, I was pleasantly surprised.  It was clean, the rooms were nicely decorated as shown on the website and there was free breakfast available.

Upon arriving, a couple of us went to a free wine tasting in the area.  We sampled different wines from the region and the wines were actually pretty good.  After the tasting, an ESADE classmate who is also from Lisboa met with the larger group to give us a tour of the city.  We visited many of the main tourist areas such as visiting the Monastery, Belem, Downtown, and the Tower.   I really liked the architecture throughout the city and the people in Lisboa were very nice.

I also tried the specialty drink from Lisboa, ginjinha, which is basically a shot of alcohol with a cherry in the bottom.  It wasn't the best tasting drink in the world and it reminded me of Ny-Quil.
  But apparently this is a very popular drink there...I'm just not too sure if I liked it.  Also, I tried pastries that are famous in Lisboa such as pastéis de nata.  The pastries were amazing and probably the best that I've had since in Europe this time around.

The next day we traveled to Sintra, a small city located outside of Lisboa.  The main sights to see in Sintra are the castles.  We visited two different castles and they were very beautiful.  Outside of touring the castles, there was not much else in Sintra other than walking around and stopping into various shops.  Overall I thought that Sintra was a really cute town.

In terms of the nightlife, we went to Lux, which is supposedly the best club in Europe.
  This club attracts many celebrities and we were advised to arrive early (close to midnight) since it gets crowded quickly.  We arrived a little after midnight and the club was completely empty.  Just like clubs in Barcelona, around 2 am more people started to arrive.  The club was good and I liked the DJ, however it was comparable to many of the places that I've visited in Barcelona.  Sunday night, we went to a fado show.  I thought that the show was good and I enjoyed it.

I liked Lisboa and Sintra.  The visit more than exceeded my expectations.  Though I am not too certain that I will return, it was worth the trip to at least see it.  Overall it was a really good way to spend the weekend with a group of friends from ESADE.
photo by: Johnpro