Wondering..

Bunbury Travel Blog

So lately Ive been getting itchy feet again. The desire to take off and travel again is so strong, but at the same time I know I must get around to starting my uni degree. I need to think about my future, and getting a good job from my degree will hopefully benefit my passion for travel in the long run. So I need people not to ask me into any kind of adventures in the next three years!! Hahaha, that goes to you too Lauro!

In the meantime however, different things are constantly inspiring me to travel. I'm fanatical about books and love reading a great novel or even non fiction book. After working at night it relaxs me. I particularly love reading books that are set in other countries. Some authors have this superb way of writing, so that the city they've based their story in becomes a key character itself in the novel, due to the talents and purposes of the author.

Two such authors are Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and Kate  Mosse. I encourage everyone who loves books (especially with exotic locations) to look up these two authors. Both authors base their stories in cities that are described so vividly, that the reader fells like they are walking beside the characters down the streets of their home.

Zafon's novel 'The Shadow of the Wind' is based in Barcelona and to Barcelona I want to go. I was really disappointed last year that I didn't make it to Barcelona, and now I'm even more annoyed with myseld. However, having developed this interest in the city relating to the book, I think I'll appreciate it more when I finally get there.

Mosse's novels are based in France, particularly Carcasonne. Another old European city that has been through many conflicts, and inspired many people. Understanding that the Carcasonne that stands today is a replica of the original, Mosse still describes it with such romantisiscm that I want to go back to France, skip everything and head south, towards the Pyrenees.

Movies are another inspirations, from Allen's 'Vicky Christina Barcelona' to 'Into the Wild', any movie that is set somewhere a little different reminds me that there is so much more out there to see.

Sometimes I wish I were five different people, each following the five different directions that are on offer to me at the moment. Which is the right choice? Will discovering and moving around often cause me to never have any base roots?

lauro says:
my favorite is the rice mother! you will need thousand of tissues after because its heart wrenching!
Posted on: Jul 12, 2009
hannah-lou says:
Cheers Lauro! Will have to go get them!
Posted on: Jul 10, 2009
lauro says:
oh! i recommend the books: "the perfume" the setting was in paris, auvergne, provence and grasse! (perfume capitl of the world)! you will love it!

the rice mother - settings in ceylon and malaysia

smillas sense of snow - settings in denmark and greenland!
Posted on: Jul 10, 2009