Malaybalay

Malaybalay Travel Blog

The church itself.
We got up super early for the two hour drive to Malaybalay. I've done this drive twice before and have yet to stay awake though I hear the view is spectacular. The national highway is a two lane highway and not kept in very good condition but it works. My favourite part of the drive are the signs saying "____ km to the nearest Jollibee!!"

Malaybalay itself isn't particularly exciting. The most interesting part is really the Church of Transfiguration. We went to have brunch with the Monks (done the Second Sunday of every month). I'm not sure why it's called breakfast because it's more like lunch but anyway, following their 8 o'clock mass, you can join them. It costs about $3 per person for buffet style Filipino food, including coffee, juice, and dessert.
Lunch!
The monks wander around and chat with everyone, not just the regulars. I was surprised to hear how much some of them travel.

Afterwards, we stopped in the gift shop to buy some pasalubongs (translation: souvenirs). The monks are known for their very original brand of coffee: Monk's Blend. Also, the peanut brittle is supposed to be phenomenol. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know from personal experience but it's worth a taste.

Our afternoon was supposed to be spent white water rafting but it had been raining nonstop for the last few days so we had to cancel it. Rain this time of year is really out of the ordinary :( We spent the day relaxing and watching movies...well. My friends watched movies. I napped!

Note: The pictures here are from another visit because I was too afraid to take out my camera in the bad weather.
Monastery of the Transfiguration