Bohol for a bit

Bohol Travel Blog

UBE! Should be the national food of the Philippines.
After a fantastic Christmas in snow filled Vancouver, it was finally time to start my best friend's Asian Invasion. I'm not quite sure how it happened but somehow GMA (the President of the Philippines) managed to make most of the days between Christmas and New Years a holiday! Something about encouraging people to travel and promoting tourism. It worked because we were headed to Bohol! Though my family grew up here in the Philippines, none of them had seen the Chocolate Hills. Perfect no?

I arrived at 6 in the morning, ran home to pack a few last minute things and we were out of the house not too long after. We took Cebu Pacific where 'Every Juan flies' har har Personally, I prefer it over PAL. The planes seem newer and the staff much more fun. Plus they are the only airline that plays dumb games up in the sky.
Baclayon Church
When we arrived in the TINY airport of Tagbilaran, the van from our resort was waiting. The ride to Amarela was only about a half hour. Tagbilaran is actually on the main island where as the resort was on Panglao, a nearby island. The two are connected by a small land bridge.

Lunch was delicious with ube ice cream for desert!! We got a lesson in ube later at dinner where I found out it comes from a root crop that loves growing in Bohol. Something about it being larger. Anywho, we left the resort just in time to catch mass at Baclayon Church in Daui. I don't really understand Tagalog and was quite worried that I REALLY didn't understand any as we sat down for mass and I had no clue what was going on. Turns out, they were speaking in Visaya so none of us understood it. Mass was still enjoyable, especially with the children's choir. We had a tour of the church and the building nearby that was recently restored. They've done a fantastic job and it's looking amazing. There's also a small gift shop inside selling locally made handicrafts. Dinner was also at the church. We were celebrating my little brother's birthday as well as my parent's wedding anniversary and were very fortunate to have the Loboc Children's choir perform. Their singing was so beautiful I had chills!
nanie05 says:
In Malaysia we call that root crop UBI ...and its made into icecream as well! (Is it pronounced 'oobee' ?)
Ubi is delish deep fried in batter!:D
Posted on: May 31, 2009
UBE! Should be the national food o…
UBE! Should be the national food …
Really beautiful
Really beautiful
Loboc Childrens Choir
Loboc Children's Choir
Parol contest
Parol contest
Bohol Hotels & Accommodations review
Quaint family style resort
This small new resort on Panglao Island is perfect for anyone who wants a quite getaway. The main building is on the top of a hill and seems like a ho… read entire review
Bohol