Senior Day

Owings Travel Blog

Senior Recognition

Since Coach Rita's arrival, we have made a point of recognizing our seniors before our home meet.  It is a short ceremony; their names and future goals are read, they receive balloons.  However, it is important for them, and I'm really glad that we take those five to ten minutes for those kids who have given us so much.

The home meet is always crazy with all the details we have to take care of.  This year at least we did not have to borrow hurdles from another school.  We had 30 brand new hurdles!  (I was excited, can you tell?)  My two main duties were making sure that the concession stand got going at the beginning (mental note: next year make sure we have change!) and then running the timing system.  The timing system was new this year.

Thanks to fishing it out of the closet and playing with it and the directions for about ten minutes the day before, I had the basics worked out.  Without the directions, I would have been lost.  We had very few timing mishaps for which I am very grateful.

We had a ton of kids running distance events here.

Highlights for the girls included winning the 4x800m relay, KT placing in the 100m, BrS placing in the 1600m, MU winning silver in the 800m, and TH jumping to third in the long jump.  CS and AG also both placed in the shot put.

The boys earned many points.  Two placed in high jump, three placed in shot put, and then two in the discus.  RO won the 800m (as well as the 1600m) and SA picked up fourth.  Two more athletes placed in the 300 hurdles with JW winning it.  Two boys placed in the 110 hurdles.  CN placed in the 400m.  We earned third and fourth in the 3200m.

in the stands