Beautiful western coast of India

Mangalore Travel Blog

Summer Sand Resort
We all decided to meet at Bangalore's railway station at 8 PM. It was our second office trip and I was pretty excited about it already because I am going have a beach holiday almost after a decade. One by one everyone started to reach and after having dinner at railway station we all were waiting for train to come. Thanks to Indian railway that it came on time and without much any difficulty we found our respective compartment and seat numbers. Night was not much eventful and soon we all were charging our battery for upcoming trip to Mangalore, a coastal city in province of Karnataka. Its a one night journey in train from Bangalore to our Mangalore.

Next day around 8 AM in morning we reached Mangalore station and straight away headed to Summer Sand Beach Resort.
Bekal Fort
It is near to a place called Ullal,outskirts of Mangalore. We already booked both resort and a 21 seater bus for carrying us in whole trip. It was a typical beach resort, calm and quite and sound of waves can be easily heard from all the corner of resort. Our villas were a descent one but yes not worth of Rs 8000 per night :(

Our fisrt destination was Bekal fort, a pictersque old fort in Kerla ( very near to Kerala-Karnataka border). The main excitment to see the place was as "Tu Hi Re..." song from the bollywood movie was shot here. Fort was ok-ok stuff but the view of Arabian cost from the fort was awesome, wish I would have visited this place in monsoon. There is one small pasaage in fort which takes you to beach, again it was very clean and less crowdy unlike other tourist place. We spend some quality time there, enjoyed in some very big waves.
Bekal Fort staircase
Unfortunately we couldn't find any decent restaurent so we had to move for lunch.

BY the time we came back to summer sand resort it was evening and we spend some really quality time at private beach while looking towards sunset.

Next Day our destination was Udupi and St Marry's island. We started early in morning and headed towards Udupi, Udupi is temple town and except from Sri Krishna Mandir and mouth watering Pure vegeterain food. My main interest was St. Marry's island which was one hour journey from Udupi. To reach island one need to go till Malpe beach and need to take ferry service from there. At first look St Marry's island looks like a perfect inhabitat island shown/read in movie/books. It was soothing an half an hour ride in ferry for island. Water was very clear and so was beach. Actually no one is allowed to stay there at night, first ferry starts in morning and last one from island is at 5 'o clock local time. We had good time there but wish we could have taken full loads of chilled beer and food. Its a perfect place to have beer and chill out under sun. There is no shop so better to carry food item with you.
Vikram says:
Ignore my comment on the photo on "Was Tu Hi Re shot here?!". I saw your pix first and now reading your blog. I've heard alot about St.Marry's island but what can one do there? Anyway I don't drink beer now (once you turn 30, gotta keep an eye on the waist ;-)) so I guess drinking and chillaxing by the beach is out for me!
Posted on: Feb 11, 2010
View from Bekal Fort
View from Bekal Fort
St Marrys Island
St Marry's Island
St Marrys Island
St Marry's Island
Mangalore Hotels & Accommodations review
It was good but very costly... I mean not worth of the money that they are charging